Suggestion Box - 2006 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Suggestion Box - 2006

juro
01-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Besides some great suggestions already made by the moderators, I'm curious what you'd like to see in the FORUM thru the new year.

I'll be cautious to avoid making promises that can't be kept but it will be great to hear what people are thinking.

So... what would you like to see in 2006?

QuebecSporting
01-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Girls first!! :D Just kidding guys!! :rolleyes:

I would be great to have a little corner for daily river reports during the fishing season...
( as a sponsor, I would be willing to update daily ( water conditions, etc..) on each river we fish.... ( Gaspé Area)

http://www.QuebecSporting.com/Photos/J_2006.jpg

See you at the fly shows!!

Ann

DEERHAAWK
01-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Good evening,
Another year brings another years worth of bills for the Forum. I appreciate the information, story's, and friendship, among other things, that the Forum offers. I think now would be a good time to set up a payment option for us to help "cover the costs"! Can we achieve that Bro?
Thanks Juro + Company for keeping the Forum alive for another year!
Time to "Buck Up" folks!

Deerhawk

Slinger
01-03-2006, 04:01 AM
Good tide charts!!!
Slinger

juro
01-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Great stuff - keep 'em coming!!

Dble Haul
01-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Juro, I have to agree with DH's suggestion of a way to make donations to the site. Perhaps a simple Paypal button somewhere so that members can make an occasional donation, which might make a big difference over the course of the year.

josko
01-03-2006, 11:47 AM
I would hope to see a bit of thought direcrted towards the no-sponsor, no-link policy. I fully agree with the policy of giving sponsors an extra advantage, but for cases were there's no obvious lint to a site sponsor (i.e. the Ghanian charter) maybe we couold relax te policy a bit.

On a related line, I'm looking at Canadian salmon lodges for a two-week trip this summer. I would like to find the most suitable lodge, not the most suitable sponsoring lodge. Now, I'm definitely willing to give site sponsors extra consideration, but get the feeling that non-sponsors are suppressed. The end result is that I'm using other BBs's in my search. Is there a way to balance sponsors'needs with those of users wanting broadest representations of flyfishing opportunities?

Dble Haul
01-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Per the linking to non-sponsors, I'll simply quote a response from juro in another recent thread:

"Josko -

You can always drop bob a PM or he can describe the company name without a direct hyperlink, and google will do the rest (as I am sure it often does).

We agree to sponsorships under the pretense that their investment will be protected in an environment free of competitive advertising, and hyperlinks are considered advertising.

But people are free to talk about anything short of advertising, which includes testimonials about products.

Hope that makes the information sharing easier. I plan to disable the automatic link feature after the next software upgrade so only deliberate hyperlinks will appear as some are probably unintentional."

flytyer
01-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Since flyfishingforum and speypages have been two separate entities for the last year, how about a section devoted to spey casting, 2-hand rods, spey lines, etc.?

griz
01-03-2006, 02:32 PM
I agree with Josko on the non sponsor link. It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth not being able to freely talk about stuff and offer up url's when it's helpful.

I believe it hurts the site more than helps it. I enjoy the site but at some point, I'm sure I'll move on to other sites because I don't like having to edit myself or being edited.

The advertisers should look at it as just advertising and not look to even slightly control content and flow of well meant information on the actual site. And to be honest, it creates abit of resentment towards both the site and sponsors from me.

juro
01-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Hey I am open to suggestions... maybe we can work something out.

How much of the site costs and workload are you willing to take on? It's currently a free resource. :)

I agree with Josko on the non sponsor link. It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth not being able to freely talk about stuff and offer up url's when it's helpful.

I believe it hurts the site more than helps it. I enjoy the site but at some point, I'm sure I'll move on to other sites because I don't like having to edit myself or being edited.

The advertisers should look at it as just advertising and not look to even slightly control content and flow of well meant information on the actual site. And to be honest, it creates abit of resentment towards both the site and sponsors from me.

JimW
01-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Josko - I hear ya.
I understand protecting the sponsors from getting slammed by the spammers that hit the site with post #1 touting their biz. That's a simple matter of clicking the delete button. Perhaps it's been taken too far. Maybe we should ask the sponsors but from the list I see - these folks don't need over protecting - they are first rate and they may even benefit from knowing their competition a little better.

I vote for bring back the links.

Take the dental repair products for example 'wet a hook'. A link is a lot easier than hitting google. Maybe I'd come back to this site because I new the link was handy.

Something to consider.

The fact that Josko is willing to give a sponsor extra consideration is to me what the sponsorship is all about. It's not an exclusive but if they are as good at something as a non-sponsor they get my fishing fund.

We agree to sponsorships under the pretense that their investment will be protected in an environment free of competitive advertising, and hyperlinks are considered advertising.
Last I heard T&T and Sage were competitors and damm good ones, surely they both get a share of the buyers on this site.
I know there is a deal with action optics for no competitive sponsors, to my knowledge that doesn't mean you cannot speak of Maui Jim or Oakley. It's saying we shouldn't acknowledge the other fishing sites, most folks are hitting many boards. The one that provides the best experience is where they will return and post - I think links are an important part of that experience.

As far as fundraising goes - something like FFSW does with the once a year donation drive would help close the gap between sponsorships and the cost of running this place. I think the paypal button is a great idea.

bonefishmon
01-03-2006, 05:08 PM
A monthly 'Destinations' program enticing us to try fisheries new to most of us in other parts of the world. Even if though we may never make it there it is great reading and dreaming material. More "Destinations" articles please.

Phil

griz
01-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey Juro,

I don't think you would want my computer clueless self working on the website but I do kick in for good sites. There are incredible climbing sites in colorado and washington put together by private people that are tremendous resources. I respect that kind effort and view it as paying for a guide book.

I doubt I'll get an answer and no problem if so but what ARE the cost of running a website like this? Web hosting is dirt cheap these days...20,000mb of storage/1,000gb of monthly transfer for under $18 and many come with quality forums to add for free or a next to nothing annual fee. I realize there is a ton of effort setting stuff up but what other costs are incurred? Like I said I'm pretty clueless on this stuff and I'm really not trying to be a jerk here. It would just give me a better appreciation for the site.

Eddie
01-03-2006, 09:56 PM
I don't understand the hang up with links. If I posted that the Widow Makers Lodge in BC is terrific, they have great prices, good food and pretty guides. Who wouldn't know to google them? If there is further trouble finding them, a pm would be a few key strokes away. It's not as if this is an emergency. There is no rule saying that anyone can't recomend Capt. Blye, list his phone # and even recomend checking out his web site. I have posted many comercial, non sponsor guides, shops, lodges, gear and on and on. My ability to share information has not been diminished by the rules of the Forum.

I have an idea. What about a section on fishing with kids. A place where people can ask questions and share what works for them. I know that people already have posted questios, bt maybe it would be good to have them all in one place.

flytyer
01-03-2006, 11:47 PM
eddie,

I like you idea of a section for fishing with kids or getting kids started fly fishing or fly tying too.

JimW
01-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Web hosting is dirt cheap these days...20,000mb of storage/1,000gb of monthly transfer for under $18

Grizz - What hosting company are you referring to, please shoot me a PM. No links please :eek:

The links should probably be a different thread since it's probably going to detract from this very good and productive thread. I've said what I think and will drop it.

juro
01-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Yeah - that's about where we started 5 years ago. We now pay for a dedicated server (i.e. order of magnitude) after many painful migrations out of plans we exhausted. (do some searches for the gory details)

PM me the details please along with JimW... (I don't give a crap about hosting links but let's not pollute this thread)

How much RAM on said server? What processor / speed? 24/7 phone support? We've relied on that. Migration of all of our data and applications? Platform/php/mySQL versions?

Our 26,000 unique IPs and 3m hits per month killed many plans along the way. We don't want to go backwards.

Club 'kitty'...

Some local non-profit clubs have as much as $20k in their kitty to work with for various activities. We even host several of their websites for free on our server st the moment.

We really have nothing right now in terms of a nest egg, and that's not good.

I'd like to start a more aggressive reward system for those who contribute and that takes funds.

As a 'stretch goal' I would like to obtain a show booth display for our appearances at shows. These run about $3000 but the savings in time and professional appearance pays for itself. Seems impossible at this point. I think a 5 year old international club has earned one though - don't you?

Those of you who were on the assembly crew for our "virtual lodge" display know what I am talking about :hihi:

CC me the details when you send them to Jim on these hosting plans maybe they will have a dedicated server I can use if it's worth the migration hassle.

But please let's get back to the thread's intent...

what would you like to see in 2006? (great stuff so far!)

Paxton
01-04-2006, 10:01 AM
I would also support some type of contribution plan to fund the operation of the site...God knows, we all have enjoyed the site...always something to look forward to in the morning.
One suggestion.....a NE Fishing report section as part of the current Stripers and NE Gamefish section.
Thanks for all the efforts of those organizing, running and monitoring the site...much apppreciated!!!
Ron

Dble Haul
01-04-2006, 10:26 AM
I also like the idea of having a section for getting kids into flyfishing, even if it's a subheading under the Getting Started section.

jlsmithii
01-04-2006, 02:46 PM
i second that idea about a section for fishing with kids. escpecially after reading the post about PETA's recent campaign. the future of our hobby (perhaps life's passion) rest with our children. a section where we could post kid friendly fishing locations would be great.

juro
01-04-2006, 10:46 PM
That's a winner! keep 'em coming

Roop
01-05-2006, 07:22 AM
I can't seem to find where the sponsors are listed on the site.

How about a sponsors section or please point me to it...

Happy New Year!

Roop

FishHawk
01-05-2006, 08:51 AM
I would like to see a step by step tying feature in flytying sections. I think this will help attract new members . We have some great flytyers on this Forum.
FishHawk

Dble Haul
01-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Roop-

On the home page, check out the button labeled "We Love Our Sponsors!". That will take you to a listing of all of them.

I think you're right, though. I don't see a way to get to them from the discussion boards (unless I'm missing something obvious).

Smcdermott
01-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Roop-

On the home page, check out the button labeled "We Love Our Sponsors!". That will take you to a listing of all of them.

I think you're right, though. I don't see a way to get to them from the discussion boards (unless I'm missing something obvious).

On the top of every page under the FFF headline are links to the home page, sponsors and your host. Both the sponsors and host links take you to the sponsors page.

Sean

Dble Haul
01-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Well then, I guess that I was overlooking something obvious..... :redface:

Thanks Sean.

Nick
01-05-2006, 12:05 PM
I don't understand the hang up with links. If I posted that the Widow Makers Lodge in BC is terrific, they have great prices, good food and pretty guides. Who wouldn't know to google them? If there is further trouble finding them, a pm would be a few key strokes away. It's not as if this is an emergency. There is no rule saying that anyone can't recomend Capt. Blye, list his phone # and even recomend checking out his web site. I have posted many comercial, non sponsor guides, shops, lodges, gear and on and on. My ability to share information has not been diminished by the rules of the Forum.

I have an idea. What about a section on fishing with kids. A place where people can ask questions and share what works for them. I know that people already have posted questios, bt maybe it would be good to have them all in one place.

It really can be as easy as highlight text, right click, and google search if you have the toolbar installed...

Roop
01-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Well then, I guess that I was overlooking something obvious..... :redface:

Thanks Sean.

Actually I think I am, the links do not appear anywhere on my browser, XP Pro, I guess I need to look for an update.

Thanks,

Roop

flytie
01-06-2006, 11:20 PM
I would like to see a Float Tubers Catagory. I would like to get other tubers ideas on homemade equipment, packing supplies to remote areas, and safety tips.

teflon_jones
01-06-2006, 11:34 PM
I'd like to see the index page for the forum condensed. It takes far too much scrolling to get to the topics at the bottom. It's a simple change that would help drive forum usage higher.

(I've done web usability work for years and scrolling is always the enemy of a website! :) )

Quentin
01-07-2006, 12:39 PM
I'd like to see the index page for the forum condensed. It takes far too much scrolling to get to the topics at the bottom. It's a simple change that would help drive forum usage higher.

(I've done web usability work for years and scrolling is always the enemy of a website! :) )

Good idea! I usually check out the Worldwide and SW sections and then scroll down to the Trout and WW sections, so I scroll past the stuff in between (sometimes stopping if I notice something interesting) and seldom go beyond the Gear Talk section.

I would like to see a Float Tubers Catagory. I would like to get other tubers ideas on homemade equipment, packing supplies to remote areas, and safety tips.

flytie, there is a category for Inflatable Watercraft that should cover these things. It may not get much traffic because it is waaaay down near the bottom of the list :hihi: .

Q

juro
01-07-2006, 12:56 PM
I also have many years in the web industry, however I rarely (never) look at this site and the day job in the same light. If I step back and look, that really shows :)

However, there are constraints and limitations set by the software we use. Also the other "enemy of websites" is too may clicks.

Condensing puts things away so that the topic does not beckon for a read. It would be akin to putting things into drawers instead of shelves at a store.

However the choices we have (open/closed) are not the best, and I have often thought it would be better if we could come up with a different layout entirely.

Let me think about it. If there are any usability pros out there please make a pitch.

teflon_jones
01-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Let me think about it. If there are any usability pros out there please make a pitch.
Here's a few very simple suggestions based on my web design/usability experience (visit www.johnhancock.com to see an example of my latest work :) ):
There are 5 areas that have 3 lines of descriptive text each under the titles (Getting Started, Archive of Striper patterns, Pacific Steelhead, Quintessential Trout, Warmwater fishing). Shorten this text to 2 lines. (every little bit helps!)

There are three topics that so little activity that all they really do is take up space:
Member Profiles, Open Forum, Favorite Recipes

The first two are duplicates of existing areas of the site. Member Profiles can be seen by clicking on each user name. There's no need for a separate section. Open Forum is the same as this area (Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion). Yes, I realize the Open Forum is supposed to house non-flyfishing related topics, but since nobody visits it people just post those things in this forum instead. I think that's a key reason it should simply be eliminated. Favorite Recipes simply isn't really used very much. As an avid cook, it's hard for me to promote eliminating it, but the simple fact is that it isn't really used very much. I can see leaving it since there's nowhere else that this fits, but the first two are definitely duplicates IMHO.

juro
01-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Those are great suggestions.

Headings like "Open Forum" can not be eliminated because of the schema of the software we use, vBulletin Forums. It's a category not a forum per se, a container for topic areas within.

The net savings by eliminating descriptive text from several headers or consolidating a few sections with others yields only several lines of savings and does not really effect a meaningful change.

I am thinking more in the lines of restructuring the way it is presented from the linear listing to something much more innovative, but I'd need to learn how to decompose and reconstruct the main forum page to do that.

Quite frankly the gating factor is time. I take a lot of heat for the things I can not complete as it is. The truth is I am flat out all the time and have to pick my battles as they say with the cycles I have.

That being said I really appreciate that people care to provide feedback. Keep the ideas coming!

juro
01-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Scott -

I took your advice and shortened the descriptions the other night during the wee hours. It doesn't eliminate scrolling but it does look more concise thanks.

Juro

teflon_jones
01-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Scott -

I took your advice and shortened the descriptions the other night during the wee hours. It doesn't eliminate scrolling but it does look more concise thanks.

Juro
I think that really makes a big difference in making the page a lot cleaner! :)

juro
01-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Well I wouldn't over-rate the small change; it helps a little but it does not solve the core problem. I am still thinking through a high-level design change that does not disrupt the software we license for this forum.

We've had a plan for over a year, I will start phasing it in as time allows.

FishHawk
01-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Wonder if you could install a spell checker . I noticed that the SpeyForum has it.
FishHawk

Smcdermott
01-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Wonder if you could install a spell checker . I noticed that the SpeyForum has it.
FishHawk

In the upper right hand corner of the reply page above the smiles is an icon with a check mark and the letters ABC. It looks like you need to install software to use it though which I haven't done.

Sean

jfbasser
01-13-2006, 01:08 PM
a Google toolbar also has a spellchecker for text typed into any web form.

teflon_jones
01-14-2006, 12:12 AM
I would like to see the link for "The Last 24 Hours" be more prominent and maybe be renamed to something more applicable ("The Most Recent Posts" maybe"). I've been visiting this forum for over a year now and this is the first week I've ever noticed it. I'm not sure how long it's been there for but it's a great way to tell what topics have been active most recently, and based on the other good forums I visit, they all have this displayed more prominently.

juro
01-14-2006, 05:45 AM
I had just put it there - maybe 24-48 hours before you saw it so it's not you.

There is a problem with most recent, as there is a most recent post feature as well however it acts differently when signed in verses not signed in and to toggle it properly I would have to write code to detect logged in verses not and set href value or element visibility of the other link (24 hours and most recent are not the same).

I know how to do it but it's just not top on the list of priorities at the moment.

Thanks for the great feedback!!!

FishHawk
01-14-2006, 06:03 AM
So how do I get my threads to show posts longer than a few days without having to set them each time I open a new section? Have I missed something that was mentioned before? FishHawk

teflon_jones
01-14-2006, 08:33 AM
So how do I get my threads to show posts longer than a few days without having to set them each time I open a new section? Have I missed something that was mentioned before? FishHawk
Maybe you need to change this option. Go to "User CP", then to "Edit Options", then go to the bottom of the page and there's a drop down box called "Default Thread Age Cut Off" where you can change how old the threads are that you see.

JimW
01-14-2006, 09:27 AM
I didn't know about the 24 hour feature. I don't know how many times I've used the recent threads button and either had to attend to something or had a browser crash, at which point I needed to hit each board to see what was new. TJ that was a good one keep 'em coming.

juro
01-14-2006, 10:01 AM
JimW -

I've always used it a lot but decided it would be a good link to put up top for the general readership - only a day or two before TJ's suggestion to make it bigger, so it's not like it was there all along. The whole layout will be changing so it will remain it's current size and position for now.

Fishhawk -

That's a setting I haven't played with yet - I believe there is a system-wide setting for post aging / display; let me look into this one.

JimW
01-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Juro,
Way to go dude, keep up the good work.

teflon_jones
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Juro,
Way to go dude, keep up the good work.
Absolutely!!! I visit more than a couple of forums on a regular basis (and am an admin on one) and this one really is very good. Juro you do a great job and deserve a big THANKS!!!

juro
01-15-2006, 12:13 AM
You know the best way to thank a website crew... visit and post often!

thank YOU guys

teflon_jones
01-28-2006, 11:19 PM
The new edit feature is awesome! I love how it just lets you edit the post on the same page.

bonefishmon
01-31-2006, 06:44 PM
I have been in contact with a very good candidate for sponsorship. There is one thing lacking on this Forum. Forgive me if one exists and I have not seen it.. For those that have the need for travel agency related flyfishing trips and the budget to do so, couldn't we use a some support from a fishing travel agency as a sponsor? I have someone in mind with worldwide travel experience that many will find very amusing. One of the owners is an extremely creative writer that may be willing to add some of his adventures to the Destinations page. Some of the most popular flyfishing magazines have articles written by him.

I have seen dozens of members ask where to go on their next 'trip of a lifetime' but not be able to mention an agency that can help with the sometimes nigthmare logistics involved.

Juro. I have PM'ed you on this. Where's the reply? I want to help gain a sponsor and he has questions I can't answer.

Phil