Headed for belize could use some pointers [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Headed for belize could use some pointers

tight-lines
01-02-2006, 04:01 PM
I was hoping I could get some advise concerningf my upcomming April trip to Belize. I am not an experianced saltwater or flats fisherman but want to give it a shot. Will be fishing central part of the coast, Hopkins area and southwater caye. Does anyone have any experiance in that part of the world. Hoping to target Bones and maybe Tarpon don't think I have the skills for permit. Taking my 7 and 9 wt as of now but may try to build a 11 or 12 if time permits. could use some tips on line(is a tropical line necessary or will saltwater taper be suffuciant), leaders and fly selection. I am going to be tying my own flies and understand the flats are quite shallow with smaller patterns 6,8,10 and light wieghts the norm.
thanks for your help in advance.

Dave17
01-02-2006, 05:46 PM
The 9 wt will serve you well down there. Don't rule out Permit, there are a lot of them and you'll probably get shots mixed in with your chances at bones. A tropical line is a must, otherwise you'll be casting a wet noodle by mid day. You're right on about the flies, they fish small down there. Mostly 8's. Bring a lot of small tan gotchas and charlies. Best of luck.

Dave

tight-lines
01-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Thanks Dave
I'll take your advise on the tropical line. I keep reading I should take a floating and intermediate line if fishing for Tarpon. Is there a sink tip I could add to a floating line to get reasonably the same preformance? I'll go broke if I have to buy three different lines for this trip. I guess casting will be the main issue.

BigDave
01-03-2006, 08:47 AM
You can use an all purpose line like the Sci Anglers or Wulff from the skiff, but the tropical line is easier to cast if it's very hot and you are wading. Probably worth the $50 investment if you are going that far.

I would definitely be armed with weedless flies if you will be casting to tailing fish over turtle grass. Dropping the fly to the fish with no splash is more important than the pattern. Bring some flies for tailing fish like snapping shrimp, pflueger hoy etc with no bead-chain.

Take bug spray.

tight-lines
01-03-2006, 04:52 PM
thanks for the tip Dave
I'm learning.
By the way
I like beer too!!!!!

bcasey
01-07-2006, 12:40 PM
TL,
I'll be down to Ambergris Cay on Thursday and back on next Tuesday. I'll give a report when I get back.
BTW, HELLO to all my friends, it's been a while since I've been here. The offshore game is a blast, but I've been missing my buddies over here. I plan to swing the flyrod much more this summer, even with the offshore trips, and hope to see many of you then!
Case

juro
01-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Brian -

Good to hear from you bro! Sounds like you are headed for some mid-winter refreshement. I hear ya, can't wait for my turn!

Looking forward to your report, and let's hook up on the flats this summer. Buzzards Bay Ale on me at Squire's afterwards.