Ultimate Trout Fly Reel [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ultimate Trout Fly Reel

BrookFishingMan
01-01-2006, 04:50 PM
In your opinion which reel has the best drag system for light tippets?

1] Tibor Spring Creek CL

2] Lamson Litespeed

3] Ross Evolution

4] Other

salmo
01-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Danielsson( previously resold by Loop for $500) FW 2-6 for just $235 directly from factory. Sealed, super smooth drag.

Eddie
01-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Of the three excellent reels you have selected (and they would all be terrific) I prefer the Tibor. It is a prettier reel to my eye. I have a Waterworks reel and I can't say the the drag (for light tippets) is any better than my TailWater. I have a bunch of Ross reels but not an evo. I don't doubt that the Ross drags are also every bit as good. So again, it comes down to looks, budget and to some degree the importance of large arbor. I am sure the Danielson is also a fine reel.
For light tippets, you really only need a reel with smooth start up. All of these reels have this quality. Everyone has their favorite. I chose the Waterworks and the Tibor. The Tibor gets the nod because of the good looks.

baldmountain
01-01-2006, 10:16 PM

4] Other

My index finger and my thumb.

When dealing with a trout on a light tippet you will most likely do most of the fighting very gingerly with your hands rather than on the reel.

teflon_jones
01-02-2006, 06:36 AM
4] Other

My index finger and my thumb.

When dealing with a trout on a light tippet you will most likely do most of the fighting very gingerly with your hands rather than on the reel.
Before I read your post I figured I'd be the first one to post that the reel with the best drag is the one attached to the end of your left (or right) arm. ;)

admin
01-02-2006, 07:53 AM
I offered a site that was not commercial which described a reel I believe to be the best trout reel. Athough the Moderator may not favor this product, I believe it is a dis-service to the folks that visit here to S**tCan this link. EVERYONE gets it! One more time ---- <SPAM removed>

Lance and I just don't want to see you comprimize yourself.

Bob -

If you are unable to abide by the simple policies of the site, which you agreed to when you enrolled, you are welcome to find another board out there to spam.

Whether you believe this is a dis-service or not is really not your place to decide on the FORUM, but feel free to enforce your views on your own website or try imposing them onto another community.

We do not charge any admission and put a lot of time. money and energy into running this site. Please do not dishonor that with your rhetoric.

Thanks and you are welcome to continue participation, but in accordance with our policies.

baldmountain
01-02-2006, 08:12 AM
I used to think it was silly to delete links to non-sponsor sites. We are here to help each other out and sometimes you just need to point someone to a site. A link is the most convenient way.

But I was wrong.

The sponsors pay to keep the sight going and we should post links to items on their sites if at all possible. They are paying for our fun. And if the sponsors just don't have the item, post enough information so the person can google it themselves. It's not worth getting upset over.

The price on that Charleson is too high. Nice reel, but too rich for me. I'll stick with my clearance bin Scientific Anglers Sytem 2L. :D

Eddie
01-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Bob, I think that you are underestimating the sophistication of the internet crowd. I think that most people have google (I am confident that no link is necessary, but it would be allowed), yahoo and many other search engines bookmarked.
The notion that the links were removed because the Forum some how has it out for a reel that has been discontinued for three years is laughable.
Having said that, I think that my two Charlton reels perform better at higher drag settings, but they are tarpon reels. The trout reels are very nice. I'm not sure I would pay premium prices for a discontiued reel.

PremierFlyRods
01-02-2006, 10:25 PM
One of the finest fly reels currently on the market is the Elkhorn reels. I was introduced to them about 6 months ago and I won't fish without it. Aesthetic looking, Excellent Cork/Teflon Disc drag with a perfect start-up, smooth spindle action, fresh and saltwater impervious, and best of all, Elkhorns no non-sense warranty. I thought this would be a great backup reel for my Ross, but now the Ross is my backup and I now have all of the T-Series on my sticks. Check them out, you won't be dissapointed!

salmo
01-03-2006, 03:16 PM
While true sealed drag is not so important for trout fishing, when it comes to salmon, steelhead or salt water fishing any reel with open drag can't be considered the finest on the market, unless some one like frequently maintenance its reel.
Get the water between Teflon/cork and see how a reel perform with hydroplaning effect in full swing........

OC
01-03-2006, 06:19 PM
6x to 7x tippett ? Only one reel in my book and that's a Hardy Princess. If your fishing western rivers and lakes where trout are selective when feeding on top then you will need a drag that is close to perfect day in and day out. Once read somewhere that a 22 inch rainbow when he feels the hook exerts up to 20 pounds of force at the begining of the intial run. A good western states trout will run you into your backing more often than not on that first run if you need to use 6 or 7x tippett and there is little you can do about it. After that I agree it is in the magic of ones own fingers how a fish takes line.

Whiskey Dick
01-04-2006, 06:02 PM

1] Tibor Spring Creek CL

2] Lamson Litespeed

3] Ross Evolution

4] Other

I would recomend the Ross, a very nice reel, All three are nice reels and made in the US and can be bought through you local fly shops :) so you can go touch and feel them. As others have said with the tippets you are talking about drag really does not come it to it, good luck with the one you choose :)

Bob Reynolds
01-04-2006, 09:38 PM
The notion that the links were removed because the Forum some how has it out for a reel that has been discontinued for three years is laughable.

Eddie - I've read your posts for quite some time and you are a fair and honest guy. But I never said the Forum "had it out for a particular reel". You kind of make my point really. If a reel has been discontinued for three years, where is the commercial ADVANTAGE of a link? And because the reel is no longer produced there should be no reason to deny an historical link. I just suggested a trout reel I believe to be worthy of attention by the forum members. With Charlton having been used to set 60% of all IGFA records over 100 pounds, many anglers would not imagine Jack Charlton produced what is I believe to be the best trout reel ever made. Everyone will have thier own opinion, to which they are intitled, but I am also intitled to mine.

Best - Bob

Eddie
01-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Bob, I misread your post. I thought you were saying that : "Just because a Moderator does not favour the product (reel) the link gets axed." I apoligize if I misread your post.
Still there are so many ways to share good information without breaking the seemingly useless but simple rule of the Forum. I have never been a fan of the no hot links policy, and Juro will tell you that I have critisised it in the past. But I figured that it is so simple and it does not need to hinder the passing of information. Any and all information is welcome here...except hot links. You could even post the url (with a space to difuse the auto hot link feature). I encourage you to continue sharing your opinions and experience. I know that you feel discouraged and I am sorry for that.
I wish that you would post some of your experiences with Charltons.
I love the Charlton reels and of course they are worth a look. if you can find them and afford them, and aren't worried that no one might be able to fix them, they are terrific.

Maybe something like this: ( joeblow . com)

huibgeselschap
01-07-2006, 10:02 PM
to stick with topic:

reg. arbor i like marryat cmr, really lightweight reel with a supersmooth drag
large arbor, id have to say the light danielsson or the sage reels

Bob Reynolds
01-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks Eddie!

zugbugz
01-16-2006, 12:25 AM
I never really put that much stock in Abel until I witnessed a demonstration at a local fly shop...the reel (an Abel X-Stream) was hung by the backing and the drag was set at a low setting, and it actually "walked" all the way down, very slowly, never stopping or locking up. Now, that's a smooth drag! You will have a tough time finding another reel that will do that! I don't own any Abels, but I was very impressed with the demo. I was told that all Abel disc drag models will perform similarly...:)

Zugbugz - Arizona

GrantK
01-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Have to agree with the person who recommended Danielsson over the other models. Both the FW and EW series are vastly superior in terms of quality than any of those models/brands mentioned, and under their current pricing they are right in there with all those models/brands mentioned. I personally replaced a Tibor Freestone with a LW 6Nine last year and have been very pleased. The sealed drag on the Danielsson, and the much lower cost of extra spools (as well as the ease of changing them) was the primary motivation in making the change. In terms of construction, the LW is easily as well built as the Freestone. And because the Freestone is slightly better built than the Spring Creek models, I'd assume anyone picking the Danielsson over the Spring Creek would be very pleased. I also replaced a Lamson Litespeed 4 with a LW 8Twelve and there is no comparison whatsoever in those two reels. It's like comparing a Porsche to a Volkswagen. I've never owned a Ross, so I can't make a direct comparison there. I do, however, own several Bauers and must say I think the Danielssons are a better way to go. In fact, a LW 4Seven is currently in the process of replacing a LOHR on 5 wt. I'm not affiliated with Danielsson in any way shape or form, but am more than willing to say I think they have the best deal going by a long shot. They're really fine reels, and at their current price, nothing else really touches them. They are in the mid range in terms of price, but they are easily made to the standards of the high end reels. I've either owned, or currently own, Tibor, Abel, Bauer, Pate, etc., and would say the Danielssons belong in that grouping. Their price is more in line with Lamson and Ross now, though. Great reels for the money. If you don't need a cork draw-bar style disc drag--which obviously for trout you don't--then I can't imagine not looking at the Danielsson reels.

Eddie
01-16-2006, 12:36 PM
This is a test long used to tests start up stiction and drag consitancy on conventional tackle (as well as fly reels). I don't know how precise or repeatable it is (maybe there are factors like line friction, line angle, how the line is wound on and reel weight that might not make it a fair a fair way to compare reels), but it is a pretty dramatic visual.
Abels have a very smooth drag. Tibors have a heavy grease that gives them a little start up stiction but this is in no way an issue when fishing. My Islanders actually have a noticeable tug @ the beginning (LA 4.0, 3.8 and the narrow 4.0). I have tried different lubes and can't seem to get rid of it. These reels fish great so it is not a big deal.
Now a Hardy or Orvis CFO (another one of my favorite trout reels) would not be very impressive in this test, but they are certainly among the finest trout reels.

FishHawk
01-16-2006, 01:32 PM
I would go with the Able Super 4 or Super5 in the kit form which gives you two spools and many options . Just my .02 . I have done machining and will say that the Able is top notch. Nothing wrong with the Ross. FishHawk

baldmountain
01-16-2006, 02:09 PM
If you have lots of money to throw around why not a Hardy Angel?

huibgeselschap
01-17-2006, 01:11 PM
the angel sure is a nice piece of candy, turns really nice too, ive seen a 9-10 once, wow they sure make em beautiful, id still stick to a danielsson though (if id have that kinda money) as is i got a cmr marryat and a tioga which perform flawlessly

baldmountain
01-17-2006, 01:21 PM
the angel sure is a nice piece of candy, turns really nice too, ive seen a 9-10 once, wow they sure make em beautiful, id still stick to a danielsson though (if id have that kinda money) as is i got a cmr marryat and a tioga which perform flawlessly

The name of the thread is "Ultimate Trout Fly Reel" not "Perfectly Adequate Trout Fly Reel" in which case my bargain bin Scientific Anglers 2L reel would be just fine. ;)

Don't mind me, I'm just grumpy because it seems like everyone else has way more money to spend on gear than I do.

Jeff Brown
01-18-2006, 10:24 PM
I love this site and the information I receive here for the most part has been great. But Please! I know Danielsson is a new sponser and management loves them, but I am embarassed by the flagrent shilling for this product. The managers of this forum serve no purpose to allow this transparent boost to a sponcer. In doing so lose thier CREDIBILITY. This reel may or may not be great but the hijacking of a thread (all parties included) to make a commercial point? Enough already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrantK
01-18-2006, 11:21 PM
I love this site and the information I receive here for the most part has been great. But Please! I know Danielsson is a new sponser and management loves them, but I am embarassed by the flagrent shilling for this product. The managers of this forum serve no purpose to allow this transparent boost to a sponcer. In doing so lose thier CREDIBILITY. This reel may or may not be great but the hijacking of a thread (all parties included) to make a commercial point? Enough already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huh? I had no idea Danielsson was even a sponsor. In fact, I wasn't even aware they did any advertising--at least I've never seen any of it. My endorsement of their reels was based on personal experience with the product. And there was no hijacking of any thread. The question was what was the ultimate trout reel. There were three options mentioned, but option four was "other." Most just chose "other." That Danielsson was a common response in that category is reflective of the quality and value of their reels and not some conspiracy.

I don't know what sort of axe you have to grind with Danielsson, and could not possibly care less. But I would appreciate that you didn't impugn the character of those you don't know by implying that they have improper motives. I don't make a cent in the fly fishing industry.

Funny that your only two posts to this board have both been negative attacks on Danielsson. Also ironic that both were in response to positive comments made by people not directly associated with the fly fishing industry. Hmmm...coincidence?

juro
01-18-2006, 11:52 PM
As part of the volunteer mgmt of this site and as it's founder, I agree with Grant. It's not unusual at all to me that there are zealots for a product that offers that kind of quality for that kind of price. Yes, we have zealots here... for captains and guides, lodges and shops and even each other's talents - most of this praise far overshadows the well-deserved praise that Danielsson gets here and everywhere. I don't see the problem with an enthusiastic following for a sponsor if it's genuine.

As a guide, instructor and angler with several times more / reel requirements over the average angler's needs the opportunity for me to own these high performance reels at half the price the previous re-brander wanted has been reason enough for me to be zealous about it. I am extremely happy with my HD's and LW's and wouldn't trade them for the world. The facts are simple - they are a small family business in Sweden offering an incredible product for an incredible price.

... but putting my preferences aside they have approached us to become a sponsor of the FORUM and we thankfully welcome them in 2006.

Grant makes a good point about the fact that at the time of this discussion both of your 2 posts were of the axe grinding variety.

with all due respect... Who's credibility is in question here?

josko
01-19-2006, 08:24 AM
One could say it's the credibility of a site that shills for sponsors and potential sponsors, while censoring information about other, equally capable equipment and services.

baldmountain
01-19-2006, 10:01 AM
One could say it's the credibility of a site that shills for sponsors and potential sponsors, while censoring information about other, equally capable equipment and services.

I got to spend a morning casting with Juro. One of the things we talked about was just this issue. Owners and moderators of the site recommending equipment they liked and being accused of "flogging" a sponsor's product. It's the reason they don't normally make recommendations. They got tired of being accused of trying to sell sponsors' products. The problem is that Juro and the other moderators tend to only appoach manufacturers of equipment they like because they only want good products associated with the site. (To me that means that any of the sponsors are good people to do business with.) The fact that Juro ignored his own instinct to not recommend products and glowingly recommended the Dannielson reels just shows how freakin' good they are.

Dble Haul
01-19-2006, 11:21 AM

What the heck are you talking about? What censorship?

juro
01-19-2006, 12:02 PM

Josko, as you already know we respect your views. However I can't really figure out what you are suggesting.

We only limit direct hyperlinks to non-sponsors, there is no restriction on talking about anything or anyone. If that's your view of censorship, well then thats subjective / your view. Whether we all share your view or not isn't important, but in the meantime how about some idea of what the recommended action being proposed is?

What specific change to this policy would you recommend, and how does it help?

Eddie
01-19-2006, 05:32 PM

Josko, This site seems not to really suit you (too many onerous rules). May I suggest:
danblanton.com
flyanglersonline.com
flyfishsaltwaters.com
speypages.com
stripersonline.com
reel-time.com
stripermoon.com
thehulltruth.com
sexyloops.com
tidalfish.com
and one of my favorites: outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com. The florida one is pretty good.

Those are all very good websites that you might like better. Some allow hot links, but some don't. Go figure. Of course you are free to view the posts on this forum, but if you post, please respect the simple, pesky and mysterious rules of this site.

Josko, what do you think is the best trout reel? Please, no hot links to nonsponsors:wink: