Fly Line/Leader Loop Connection [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Line/Leader Loop Connection

BrookFishingMan
12-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Has anyone tried those loop connections that you shrinkwrap onto your fly line? Like the ones made by cortland. Is there a trick to making them work well? What were your experinces with them? Did they cause your tip to sink? Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

huibgeselschap
12-29-2005, 06:55 PM
they seem to work well, just watch out for overheating your flyline, the core wont appreciate it, so after making the loop give it a good old tug, if u are not satisfied, start over and and wrap the the loop tightly with kevlar tying thread then slip over the shrink tube and heat, the extra line will be inbedded in the flyline giving it a better hold.
try it on the backside of your flyline first so you get some routine in it, better to lose some line here than to loose your front taper
o yeah, dont forget to get the shrink tube off after everything has cooled off.

by the way the shrinking tube can be bought in special electronic stores for a buck per yard in stead of ten bucks per foot, do ask for the ones that need high heat to shrink (200 degrees celcius) and are a bit fire resistant, they'll know, if not , dont buy there

i havent used it yet since i dont like loops on my line, i knot it all, but my pal went to cuba using those loops (he's arguably the inventor of it all(using shrink tubes)) and the bones and cudas couldnt tear up his loops, so i guess they are tough enough, gives a pretty nice loop too, do cut the tip of your line at an angle for smoother transition.
the loop wont sink easily, because the coating is still there.
good luck
huib geselschap

flyjkol
12-29-2005, 10:40 PM
I use them all the time for their conveniece. To be on the safe side after the use of shrink tubing I like to place a small amount of Zap-A-Gap on the loop. It's as strong and practical as anything I've used.

juro
12-30-2005, 04:34 AM
I avoid them personally after having had failures on large fish. There are several alternatives -

epoxy splice nail knot / perfection loop direct nail knot to leader braided sleeve with a nail knot keeper

the first three are significantly less visible to the fish and affix solidly; the third is visible but does not let go under moments of high anxiety like the shrink wrap.

BigDave
12-30-2005, 08:25 AM
Are convenient and good for trout fishing. I like this or the nail knot/perfection loop permanent butt section for trout lines.

It can be good to put a tiny drop of zap a gap on the tip of the fly line and let it dry before you thread the braided sleeve onto the line. This keeps the water out of the line and hopefully gives you a little more boyancy.

I don't notice any more sinking of the tip with braided loops. They all sink when they get dirty or old enough.

PS check the directions on the loops. With many of them you don't need to heat up the sleeve - just slide it up over the butt ends of the loop.

teflon_jones
12-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Here's how I've done it for years and years, and I've never had one break (knock on wood). It's much stronger than the knot holding on the fly so that will always go first.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=19322