3wt. travel rod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 3wt. travel rod

Night Raider
12-29-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm looking for a 7'6"-8' 3wt. travel rod (4 piece). I'm not looking for something like a sage preferably something around $150USD or under. Luckily I don't have very discriminating tastes. Any recomends on a good reel would also be appreciated.

thanks

flyinsalt
12-29-2005, 02:41 PM
I have a 3wt TFO that has done well for me. It's a 2 piece, though. Don't know if they make a 4 piece in 3 wt.

Charlie
12-29-2005, 03:01 PM
TFO does make a 4pc. 76 3wt. and I think it goes for about $140. TFO makes some god rods at good prices.

Charlie

huibgeselschap
12-29-2005, 06:28 PM
i know many people who like tfo very well, so there you have it, buy one id say

teflon_jones
12-30-2005, 08:19 AM
For a reel I'd just get the cheapest one you can find that'll balance the rod. On a 3 wt all it does is hold the line and look pretty! ;)

juro
12-30-2005, 09:40 AM
I disagree with the cheap reel opinion, but we all have our views and I respect them all. A rod's action will often lead you to explore other actions but a high end reel will be with you through all of those rods. I believe in buying the best reel you can, for instance the ones that the Danielsson family hand crafts in Sweden. Or perhaps a classic vintage Hardy would suit your tastes, but a cheap reel is quickly left at home while a great reel never rests after having taken it's place.

huibgeselschap
01-02-2006, 12:37 PM
one reel you could consider is the Marryat CMR 3/4 , i got one on my #3 and it works great, has a good drag too if ever needed, look for it on the web or ebay , should cost about $100 , you'll never need another one,

greetings
huib geselschap

Night Raider
01-02-2006, 02:21 PM
I just picked up a TFO, I went with a 2 piece, the 2 piece had a much nicer action. The reel I got with it is a BFR rimfly 55 reel. Any comments on the reel would be great, and also disc drag vs. pawl click on this reel.

thanks

huibgeselschap
01-03-2006, 04:35 PM
up to you, but if you ever get a bigger fish on it, a proper drag will help you immense

huibgeselschap
01-03-2006, 04:36 PM
isnt that reel (bfr55)a bit big for the rod? i used to have that reel for my 5 rod

Night Raider
01-03-2006, 04:55 PM
the reel certainly isn't too small for the rod, it balances it nicely, maybe just a tad too heavy, it was recommended and he gave me a good price on the outfit so I figured I'd try it out.

Also if someone could give me an opinion on 4wt vs 3wt line for this rod. 4 wt. was recommende with the theory that with a small rod like this you're only casting 20ft and the line weight is measured in the first 30. I thought this was an interesting theory, I would be interested to hear other peoples views on it.

Thanks for all the help

shotgunner
01-03-2006, 08:09 PM
was recommende with the theory that with a small rod like this you're only casting 20ft and the line weight is measured in the first 30.

well, i'm no subscriber to that theory........ my thoughts are why set a limet on your range? ultra light rods are a tool, soft touch with better tippet cushion and a decent range capability.

i'm not familiar with the rod you chose but it seems to me that lighter weight rods are fussier line wise than med or heavy ones. SA GPX and RIO Grande are a little overweight. i thought i'd read cortland was offering lines in 1/2 weights now? i'm just not sure about going over a full line weight.

i am sure you will love a 3 weight though!

Night Raider
01-03-2006, 09:05 PM
I'll probably end up getting a spool for DT-4-f and another WF-3-f. and on a similar matter can anyone tell me how to tell the weight of a line?

thanks

24-7
01-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Night Raider

If I'm not mistaken, I believe someone suggested using a 4 wt line on your 3 wt rod. Correct?

This can make good sense if..............

1. You will typically working short (10-30ft of line outside your tip-top)

2. You want the flexiblity to throw slightly larger or heavier flies

3. Your preferred casting style is better met with the 4 wt as opposed to the 3 wt
(most important)

4. You will typically cast in windy conditions

5. Distance is not the prime motivator

Some rods are labeled 3/4 wt which usually means the manufacturer suggests the rod will load best under normal casting conditions with a DT 3 wt or a WF 4 wt

Not all lines within the same given Wt range are created equal.

Lines (I believe with the exception of the Cortland Lazer series) are usually not marked with the weight. You can weigh the 1st thirty feet with a grain scale if your into that sort of thing. Many simply mark the spool with a small label to indicate which line is on what spool. This can be an issue after a while.

Line design and tapers can be confusing and are best explained by a individual who has your long-term success and enjoyment in mind. Not just the quick sale. Check out our sponsors!!!

Good luck..............Dave