thread preference [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: thread preference

24-7
12-27-2005, 04:31 PM
I sure would appreciate knowing which working thread (white) other tyers are using as base for silk bodies.

Despite my best efforts, untwisting thread on bobbin and avoiding excess wraps, I still haven't found a thread that flattens and covers easily. I am tying on blind-eye and loop-eyed irons size 2-3/0.

Thanks much.........Dave

flytyer
12-27-2005, 07:00 PM
My favorite thread is Danville's Flymaster, which is usually listed as 6/0, but it actually has the same diameter as Uni-Thread 8/0 and is between Gudebrod 8/0 and 10/0 in diameter. Waspie Ultra Thread 70 Denier is another one of the same diameter as the Danville's Flymaster 6/0. Truthfully, any 70 denier or smaller thread will work well provided it is not a twisted thread or cord.

But to answer your question more succinctly, I use Danville's Flymaster 6/0 or Uni-Thread 8/0 in my tying for everything but spinning deer hair, which I do with Danville's Flat Waxed Nylon. The Danville's Flymaster 6/0 is easy to untwist, lays very flat, has a very fine wax treatment, and is thin with decent strength.

Igor
12-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Benecchi's White 12/0 gets my thumbs up for a working thread. For heads I use Danville's un-waxed 6/0 Flymaster in various colors.

Igor

Charlie
12-28-2005, 09:09 AM
I agree with these guys on the Danville’s Flymaster 6/0 and Uni-Thread 8/0. I have some Benecchi’s 12/0 but have not given it a fair try yet. As flytyer points out the Flymaster is one of the best for getting a good flat body.

You could also try burnishing after you lay the thread down. Take a strait, smooth and round implement, such as a pen, and use it to rub the bumps out of the thread.

Yet another option is to lay some flat tinsel over the thread and use this for a base for your silk. The cheep plastic tinsels are the best for this type of application.

Charlie

juro
12-28-2005, 09:34 AM
I usually lay tinsel as the books suggest for 'finish' flies but while tying fishing flies a carefully wrapped Danville's (as mentioned above) is fine. I don't like the floss-type threads for this purpose because it does not bite into the tag and tail very well.

One little trick if you're just highlighting butts like freight trains, signal lights, etc. you can switch from silk floss to a floss thread which gives you more control and eliminates the need for an underwrap. This is not a good choice for full floss bodies but a handy little trick for production tying bright butts in a hotel room when you have fishing to do in the morning.

Of course a good seal dub sure makes quick work of the body ahead of the floss highlight. I like to layer the seal colors forward on large winter flies.

24-7
12-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the replies Gents

I haven't used Danville thread in years and I cannot recall why I moved away from it

I never considered burnishing my thread base

El cheapo flat tinsel also sounds good

Now if all rachii were flat on the right side.................

Chao....Dave

Muckle Salmon
12-29-2005, 09:37 PM
There is only one thread that matters> 6/0 Danville. Always burnish on underbody.
Ramsay