: Recommended Reading: Kustich Bros / GL Steelhead

juro
12-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Fly Fishing for Great lakes Steelhead
by Rick and Jerry Kustich
forward by Lani Waller
West River Publishing
ISBN 0-9633109-1-7

I had one of my holiday wishes come true when I received this magnificent book from Rick recently (you can obtain it from Rick directly or through area shops like Oak Orchard aka Black Francis on this site). I have to say I am completely impressed with this superb work on 'steelheading done right' on the Great Lakes and the insights on steelheading strategy apply everywhere anadramous trout are found worldwide.

The book is as thourough and professionally written as any on the topic of steelheading, and as applied to the great lakes it's without peer. The Ansel Adams-esque B&W photographs display chrome in a manner that boils the blood of a winter steely hound, and the illustrations and color plates are first-rate.

If I had to describe the book in a word, it would be "compleat" and having been a west-coast steelheader for over two decades I would insist that this is a good addition for all steelheaders libraries whether you live in Alaska or some way out steelhead void like Boston ;)

I consider it a gift when brothers of such intense angling ability and knowledge offer so much content in such a beautifully printed hard-bound package.

A must for any serious steelheader's library, and required reading for those getting into the game.

Two (drag-burned) thumbs up.

Juro

Charlie
12-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Juro,

Interesting you should bring this book up because I have a very recent story about it. Rick, Nick (Black Francis), our friend Tom and I went down to the lower Niagara River yesterday to do some fishing. The conditions seemed good but the fishing was slow never the less. Even the bait guys and dead drifters were not getting many fish. We did get a few dark and relatively small fish swinging our tube flies and leach patterns, however, so the day was not a total loss. At the end we retired to a new pub in the town of Lewiston NY, called, of all things, the Steelhead Pub. Good food and a good selection of taps behind the bar.

In spite of the fact that Rick nor any of us had ever been to the place, their sat a copy Rick’s book on top of the bar. I then informed the owner that I could get the author of the book to sign it for him, at which point I introduced him to Rick. That was good for a round of free pints. :D

Charlie

QuebecSporting
12-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Hi Charlie,

In the mail this morning 'A Wisp in the Wind' by Jerry Kustich.

Thanks Jerry, Brian, Charlie and the Buffalo salmon boys!!

We are snowed in for a few days.......... Just what I needed!!

See you soon!!

Ann

( you guys are great!!)

Charlie
12-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Ann,

Just finished reading this one and it is very good. Jerry puts a lot in the book about working in the Winston Bamboo rod shop. What makes this interesting is the timing, the employees at the Bamboo shop had a falling out with Winston and the Bamboo shop as it is today will soon not exist. Jerry, Glen Bracket and the rest of the Boo-boys have resigned.

Charlie.