Winter brook help [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Winter brook help

Tensor2188@Gmai
12-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Hey, my local stream was just stocked with 1500 brookies and i was wondering what type of fly i should fish them with.

BrookFishingMan
12-24-2005, 08:32 AM
Well it is winter so nymphing will be your best bet. Since they are fresh from the hatchery they are uneducated and will fall for a wide variety of nymph patterns.

Kory

griz
12-24-2005, 08:38 AM
yeah, agree on the nymphs.

the only thing i would add is to try a bead head. brookies are fairly aggressive and seem to like abit of flash and sparkle.

juro
12-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Where brookies excel in coloration and table fare they lack in self-constraint - at least the ones I've been fortunate enough to meet. They are fairly willing takers even in the wild brookie streams of the northeast.

The largest I've caught have been in lakes and were a bit of an enigma with an occasional appearance to prove they are around. They seem to inhabit deep spring fed areas after spring turnover.

As someone mentioned fresh stockers should be willing game, a nymph below a dropper from the bend of a bushy dry fly would be a good approach I would think. I like small tan beadhead stones any time of year, prince nymphs sure do their share of convincing in my area streams too.

I also like fishing streamers for brookies, the hornberg is a regional favorite.

teflon_jones
12-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Fresh from the hatchery brookies are going to be looking for anything to eat. Try something bright and flashy with a little weight to it.