New job for '06 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New job for '06

Adrian
12-23-2005, 02:42 PM
The job I took two years ago didn't pan out as planned and we parted company freinds at the end of October. My new job starts in January and corporate H.Q. is in Mumbai which just happens to be a tropical coastal location. :lildevl:

I'll be based in NYC but will have to travel out there fairly regularly. I haven't found any info on sportfishing but given the latitude I have a pretty good idea what to expect.

Further inland the legendary Mahseer run the big rivers that drop from the Himalayas and off the opposite coast lie the Seychelles and other interesting locations......

If anyone has wet a line on the Arabian Sea coast I'd be very interested.

Otherwise watch this space for reports as the year unfolds......

flydoc
12-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Hope this doesn't cut into your forays to our neck of the woods.... :D
Flydoc

juro
12-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Sounds like you'll be doing your best Marlin Perkins this year... or maybe Jim his faithful assistant! I can't wait to read about your exploits in that area... should be an exciting year for us as readers and an even more exciting year coming up for you!

Penguin
12-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Holy Bombay Gin...BatMan !!!
While hanging under my Air Force wings, I've passed over it at 35,000'/550mph...
The coastal waters seemed very silty and coloured but areas away from big cities looked interesting...Gotta' have Bones/Tarpon!
Diego Garcia has world class fishing but I suspect mainland coastal pressures are overwhelming...
Don't drink the water...try quinine and juniper berry juice!!!
Stay away from Calcutta...
Watch out for the critters, cobras, and things that go bump in the night...
...and send Rasheed the jungle boy my warm regards!
You've ALWAYS got a place to stay on the PharSide of the canal!

jimS
12-24-2005, 08:42 AM
not known for its fishing, but on your to and from that area, there are lots of possibilities - Mongolia for taimen, Kamkatcha for steelhead, Mozambique for sails, W. Africa for tarpon, and Oz for who knows what.

Adrian, a great opportunity to scout new places for forum members. Keep us posted on your travels. Congrats on the new job.

flydoc
12-24-2005, 09:39 AM
and the Seychelles for bones (according to the Orvis Destinations Catalog)....
Flydoc :lildevl:

doogue
12-24-2005, 09:58 AM
Adrian,

I was in Southern India on vacation in November and I did manage to do some scouting in the waters around Chennai/Madras.

I walked the coastline with an enterprising handicrafts vendor that lived in a hut on the beach. His primary occupation: fishing from a raft made by lashing together some tree trunks. What a life. I can see why so many fishing villages were decimated during the tsunami.

Anyway, there was not much info online about fishing in the area but this local fisherman talked about 4 foot long fish about 30 km offshore. In speaking with him about the shape of the fish and the general behavior of the fish I surmised that he was talking about some wahoo/tuna like fish. They caught most of these brutes by livelining smaller prey.

I was in India during the monsoon so the 8 foot seas kept me from fishing. But I encourage you to ask the locals about the fishies that swim in the sea. The folks that fish for a living know way more than the hotel staff - at least where I was.

Sportfishing was clearly not a tourist activity where I was in India.

Best wishes for you in 2006. Safe travels.

Mike

Adrian
12-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys for the good wishes and info!

I'll still be around the NE in 2006 - you can't get rid of me that easilly :lildevl:

Obviously not sure what the travel schedule will be at this point but hope to see folks at some of the shows.

teflon_jones
12-26-2005, 09:43 AM
What kind of work are you going to be doing?