Situk River - Fly patterns. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Situk River - Fly patterns.

Famous Grouse
12-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Hi folks,

I'm heading to the Situk River (Alaska) in April and I need some fly advice. I know this is always kind of a "how many angels can stand on the head of a pin" question, but what are the go-to and must have patterns and sizes?

Nymphs, stoneflies, streamers, tube flies, what are the shouldn't-be-without patterns for the Situk?

Thanks.

Grouse

Willie Gunn
12-21-2005, 04:40 AM
I would suggest Orange or Purple Pot Bellied Pigs never known to fail.

Charlie
12-21-2005, 12:01 PM
The PBP's are probably a good start. :D What fish will you be targeting up there?

Charlie.

pescaphile
12-21-2005, 03:55 PM
The Situk isn't well-suited to fishing the swing. The channel is gennerally incised and fish often hold close to the bank. Plus the hoards of gear fisherman in this small stream tend to put the fish down. Most people who fish with feathers and hair there use the nymph-indicator method. The decent spots for fly fishing (that is the steelhead swing) are limited -particularly given the pressure. I'm not trying to discourage you but this is just the nature of this place.

There's no secret pattern. Any decent steelhead fly will work and so will a scrap of yarn. Be prepared for low water as you may very well have it even though they get about 160" of annual precipitation there.

Famous Grouse
12-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. Just to fill in the missing info, I'll be targeting steelhead on the Situk.

Willie, I've heard of the pot bellied pig before. Is that the fly that looks like it's been beaten on a flat rock with a hammer? A Scottish guide (or "ghillie" as they call them over there) showed me one once.

Grouse

Willie Gunn
12-22-2005, 03:12 AM
The spelling is gillie, but what chance have I of telling colonials how to spell.
The fly was perfect when I first attached to your cast, we do not do leaders in Scotland, it was those rocks you decided to beat to death that caused the problem.

Famous Grouse
12-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Uh oh. Um, I was writing about some other ghillie--erm gillie I mean. Hey, look :eek: little smile thingies.

Grouse

Bob Pauli
12-23-2005, 04:56 PM
My best fly on the Situk in November 2005 was Jack Cook's Blue Prawn tied on a 25 mm Waddington shank.

See sponsor IrishAngler.com

Bob Pauli
12-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Another Situk steelhead on blue prawn.

metalhead
12-23-2005, 08:12 PM
how was the november weather in yakutat ??

Bob Pauli
12-24-2005, 12:18 AM
The weather was good for two days, then heavy snow prevented us from driving to nine-mile bridge, and ended the trip.

metalhead
12-24-2005, 05:14 PM
did you drift the river or fish by foot at the mouth and/or nine mile?