Anybody fishing? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Anybody fishing?

Dble Haul
12-15-2005, 09:43 AM
Are there any members out there who live in areas that can be fished for warmwater species through the cold winter months? If so, don't hesitate to share your escapades with those of us who are stuck under snow and ice.

It's gonna be a long winter, folks. Throw me a bone...... :wink:

Moonlight
12-15-2005, 10:08 AM
We have an Otter that is taking advantage of a "Blow hole" next to a snag to keep fishing in our ponds during the frozen period that has been going on here in our valley the last several weeks. We see him with a good sized Bass every couple of days or so. They were here last Winter and didn't seem to cause a crash in either the Cutthroat or Spiny Ray populations. Probably a good thing, as we surely do enjoy watcing them they are pretty squirrely slipping around on the ice. :hihi:

juro
12-15-2005, 10:56 AM
There was an otter family living at the headworks on the upper upper Green I used to watch. Man could they eat crawfish! I never realized just how big they were either until I got up close and personal with them. Cool animals.

On topic, I'll bet there is some fine fishing in the Carolinas and Florida right now and the reservoir stripers in the southern states reach weights in the 40# class from what I've read. Love to hear about that with the temps below zero up my way this morning.

DEERHAAWK
12-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Teens and 20's at night, low 30's days here in the North Valley. Cascades and East have been colder (-5 to teen's and 20's) Lots of snow. Had to forgo a trip to the Metolius last weekend, opted for some stillwater along the Coast (North of Tillamook) but no action..... except for the Otter that followed at one pond.

natrix
02-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Ive been out quite a bit this winter fishing mostly shallow spring fed urban ponds and streams that never freeze even in the coldest weather. The fish are pretty sleepy but I usally hook at least one, sometimes more on the sparrow varient. I have been checking for Grass Carp, but so far no sightings. My guess is they head for the bottom at least in the deeper ponds during winter. Im really hanging out for the hot days of August and September when we can stalk the big ones in a boat.

Natrix

Dble Haul
02-14-2006, 08:29 PM
A sleepy winter carp or two would go nicely right about now. :)

worstcaster
02-15-2006, 03:51 PM
We had such a warm spell in January some small ponds opened up a little. I did not catch anything but it felt good to get a line wet again.