Need help with my dry flies! – The lead Cahill [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Need help with my dry flies! – The lead Cahill

Charlie
12-13-2005, 05:13 PM
I started making some dry flies for next years season and ran into some problems.

I decided to test one of them to see how well it would float and it just wouldn’t stay up.

I put an entire bottle of silicone on this thing and I can’t get it to float! :mad:

So I thought to myself, there is a great deal of expertise on the FlyfishingForum, I can put up a picture for people to look at and they can tell me what I did wrong.

So let me know how I screwed up! :Eyecrazy:

Thanks Charlie.

24-7
12-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Looks good to me Charlie> Have you tried some vigorous false casting to dry her out?

Good Luck .....Pulaski dave

flytyer
12-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Charlie,

Looks like it would work like a charm any place hatchery fish hole up and get dour. And that vigorous false casting 24-7 mentioned to dry her out ought to keep folks from crowding you as you are making your delicate presentations to the fish in the hatchery hole.

Adrian
12-13-2005, 07:08 PM
It's really just a question of speed - after all, the fly has to rest on the surface before it sinks - albeit a couple of microseconds in this case!

My advice would be, instead of wasting money on floatant, practice your casting until you can put the fly on the fishes nose a nanosecond before it eats the natural.

You might consider investing a couple of $$$ in a hard hat? :hihi:

griz
12-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Even though it's a fine dry fly... the hackle looks abit cheap. Try a better quality one on version 2.0. and it will float better for sure.

Another option would be adding about 30 to 80 pinch on floating strike indicators on the line above it? Perhaps in one big ball 6 inches above the fly?

Youngpatawan
12-13-2005, 09:57 PM
I think I would call the orignial designer of that hook style and ask him personally how he made it work. I would love to hear that one. LOL

teflon_jones
12-14-2005, 02:34 PM
You should attach one wine bottle cork to the hook shank and it should float then.

BigDave
12-14-2005, 02:56 PM
That is hilarious. Should be deadly for the world-famous Lead Cahill "hatch" on the Salmon River in October.

Xiphias
12-18-2005, 09:24 PM
This has to be one those dual purpose flies- depending on whether you use floatant or not. It will need a bit mor hackle for a high float though.
Xiphias.