Tube Flies and hook eyes [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tube Flies and hook eyes

chromedome
12-10-2005, 12:55 PM
I recently had the good fortune of coming across Rick Kustich one day who gave me some good tips on hooks for tube flies. He suggested the Daiichi X452 and Black Francis further recommended Daiichi 2451. Both hooks are working well but I have not been completely satisfied with the tightness of fit within the flex tubing.
I found, however, that if I first dipped the hook eye in some softex, mounted the eye on a vertically held tooth pick, and allowed to dry, I came up with some added bulk that improves the fit. The coating is presumably a silicone rubber. After drying and pulling out the tooth pick, clear access to the eye is had by snipping off the tiny nipple that remains. The rubbery surface seems to aid in holding the fit better.
The X452, being a bright surface, doesn't seem to hold the silicone sometimes. But even here, for some reason, the fit seems better.

Spock
12-10-2005, 01:34 PM
you also might want to try the daiichi x510 they are heavy wire and a big ring

Youngpatawan
12-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Is it the larger tubing your having trouble with? If it is then A good friend of mine told me that you can jam the samller junction tubing into the larger junction tubing which will hold the smaller eyes hooks really well.

chromedome
12-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Is it the larger tubing your having trouble with? If it is then A good friend of mine told me that you can jam the samller junction tubing into the larger junction tubing which will hold the smaller eyes hooks really well.

You're right. I've done that and it also can work well.