Rhoddy Landmark Gone [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rhoddy Landmark Gone

Slinger
12-04-2005, 11:27 PM
I heard a rumor that I just confirmed, that Quaker Lane B+T burned to the ground last night. It was a RI landmark to fishermen for 30 yrs. The fire happened late at night so no one was in the shop, but the lose is complete. Mike says he`ll rebuild, I hope it`s done by spring. His shop will be sorly missed by legions of fishermen heading for RI`s south shore and Narra. Bay.
Slinger

RayStachelek
12-05-2005, 11:40 AM
From the outside, the building looks no different. There is some roof damage, but the snow has covered it. Most of the fire gutted the woodin inside and stock. The cinder block construction contained the fire to the inside making it hard to notice the blaze from outside passerbys.

kennebecfly
12-06-2005, 05:29 AM
Thats a shame....

RayStachelek
12-06-2005, 03:27 PM
You hate to see a fire destroy any fishing store especially one that has been established for decades. Nothing inside remains salvageable.

The store and stock will eventually be replaced in time. What will never be replace is the shop's character, chemistry and yes ... smell. New stores have that sterile look about them. That's not what a bait shop should be.

Lost forever are all the mementos, pictures, mounts, collectibles, etc., that accumulate over the years. Those items can never be replace.