Fly Fishing Forum banner

different strokes in video

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BLACK FRANCIS 
#1 ·
first off i'm not trying to start anything but useful thoughts and discussion of technique. if you guys can't keep on subject i'm through.

that being said why are the strokes in the two videos Sean posted so different if they are both skagit style? the first looks like something different on the switch cast, very horizontal rod plane fairly continous load, although i wish we could see the rod tip as i suspect it recovers at least a little. the second video of, I believe a double, look totaly traditional to me. very verticle rod plane and a definite recovery of the initial load. maybe Tyler can comment as well since he's the one with the rod in his hands. he looks to be just screwing around at a clave and if it's not a good example then that would explain it.

PLEASE STICK TO THE TOPIC!

#2 ·
Hmm I am not seeing a wide variation in strokes. The first is a perry poke and the second is a double. By definite recovery do you mean a pause at the D loop on the double? It is there but very slight.

Also I think the vertical rod plane is just a part of doing a double no matter what method you are using.

-sean

#3 ·
in the first video he lifts the bottom hand to level with the top hand, gets the rod very horizontal on the back stroke and maintains a fairly continous load. the second he has one hand above the other with the rod pretty vertical and clearly has a load-recovery-load type of stroke. at the last second he gets the rod more horizontal but not nearly as much as the first.

if Tyler is out there i would love to hear his thoughts on this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.