Hardy Perfect Question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hardy Perfect Question

Geordie Shanks
11-29-2005, 04:26 PM
I just purchased a Hardy Perfect trout reel that is in great condition, but it appears that one of the internal ball bearings has either fallen out or been left out. The reel seems to work fine-it looks like the ball bearings mainly keep the handle plate turning and lifted off the reel frame. One of the guys in a local shop told me that Hardy made the reel like that with a space in the ball bearings, but I have never seen that in any other Hardy reels. Anyone ever seen that or heard of the ball bearings coming out? Think I should be concerned about it? It doesn't look like it would be repairable, but you never know. Any input would be appreciated. The reel has an agate line guard and looks to have been made in the 60's-70's. Thanks.

Eric
11-30-2005, 10:41 AM
Hi, Geordie,

I have several Perfects in different sizes. None has a space in the bearing race..

You might contact the House of Hardy and see if they would be able to repair your reel, if you desire to do so. I know HofH will refinish old Perfects, or any reel of their manufacture, so it's worth a try.

Cheers,

Eric