You have only one fly left... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: You have only one fly left...

teflon_jones
11-29-2005, 09:22 AM
On a similar note to my "only one rod left" thread...

You have only one fly to fish with for the rest of eternity. What's it going to be?

For me, it has to be an #6 extra flashy black woolly bugger. I figure I could catch trout, salmon, bonefish, stripers, large and smallmouth bass, and who knows what else on it!

It's a damn hard one though since my favorite fishing is on small streams with a dry fly for trout, and I'll sure miss the hell out of that!!!

Dble Haul
11-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Since all big fish eat little fish, it would have to be a streamer type of some sort. I suppose that a clouser type fly would suffice.

Am I restricted to only one size and color? If so, it's olive over white in a size four. If not, I'm armed with whatever size and color schemes I need. :)

OC
11-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Hate to saythis guys but think about it. The garden hackle is the only one you will need in such a situation. Sorry about being on the dark side.

Dble Haul
11-29-2005, 11:05 AM
I don't think you'll be catching many saltwater fish on garden hackle. :wink:

I subscribed to the baitfish theory because it applies to both fresh and salt water.

Moonlight
11-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Easier than the rod I'll go with the Muddler.

OC
11-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Mark,

New England has plenty of salt water garden hackles. Just look under the seaweed garden and in the mud. The hackles with the big pinchers at the front end that like to take hold of your finger.

Dble Haul
11-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Oh, you mean rock or beach hackle. :tongue:

teflon_jones
11-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Since all big fish eat little fish, it would have to be a streamer type of some sort. I suppose that a clouser type fly would suffice.
Not a bad theory to subscribe to. About the only fish you wouldn't be catching are carp, and you never know, you might even get one of those!

I always figured you could fish a woolly bugger like a streamer too if you do it right. :)

Charlie
11-29-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm with Moonlight,

You can grease up a Muddler and fish it as a dry in a pinch.... And it is one of the top streamers out there, up there with the bugger and clouser.

Charlie.

flyjkol
11-29-2005, 03:53 PM
About the only fish you wouldn't be catching are carp, and you never know, you might even get one of those.

Tell that to some of the carp in the missouri this summer..... I was fishing for white bass feedng on shiners and you can imagine when a solid 15+lb carp comes up to the surface to smack a dying shiner imitation.

sorry for briefly hijacking the thread

anyways my one fly would have to be a 1/0 red and pearl popper
it might not catch the most fish in the world, but its one of the most fun ways to catch them