my new 10wt [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: my new 10wt

newtoflyfishing
11-27-2005, 07:04 PM
hey guys i just bought a new 10wt rod for some salt water fishing and steelhead. im trying to figure out what kind of line to purchase right now its between cortland 444sl steelhead/ salmon line with a 24ft sink tip or the teeny saltwater line with the 24ft sink tip. any suggestions would be greatly helpful. thank you.

Eddie
11-27-2005, 08:09 PM
we will need more information about what and where you plan to fish. are you planning to use one line for all situations?

newtoflyfishing
11-27-2005, 08:22 PM
ok so far im planning a trip to rocky point and san diego, but closer to home i live within 20mins or so of to major bass lakes out here in az so i think im gonna mostly use it for that. im just looking for a sink tip line mostly for the trips to mexico and sd im gonna get 10wt floating line for the lakes out here. yes i know the rod is over kill but i picked it up for $75 at a flyfishing yard sale and it was only used once its a tfo profesional series.

Nooksack Mac
11-28-2005, 03:09 PM
With years of use, I found a ten-weight rod to be perfect for winter steelhead, and pretty good for hefty chum salmon. A ten is not for situations where any amount of finesse in presentation is needed; it's for hucking out large, heavy flies for considerable distances. It's at the upper limit of what's comfortable for all-day casting.
I don't know the specifics of what kind of fishing you'll be doing. For steelhead, a 15 foot medium-fast sinktip was the right choice most of the time. Most any WF10F made for warm-weather fishing should be ok for floating line use.

Eddie
11-28-2005, 07:18 PM
unless you will be fishing from a boat in mexico, i would recomend a warm water intermediate or warm water floater (hey, you could use it for bass fishing too!).

newtoflyfishing
11-28-2005, 09:49 PM
what about a rio, cortland or s.a. change-a-tip system has any of you ever used one of those and if so which one is the best?

BigDave
11-29-2005, 08:10 AM
I have tried the change-a-tips and find they are cumbersome to cast compared to 1-pc lines. Just my opinion.

Tayside
11-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Check out the RIO outbound, comes in a variety of sink rates and casts like a dream..

Ian