There's only one rod left... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: There's only one rod left...

teflon_jones
11-26-2005, 10:02 PM
If you could only have one rod to fish with for the rest of your life, what would it be? I'm looking more for a weight, length, and # of pieces than a manufacturer. Oh, and what fish species are you going to be targeting with this rod?

For me, I'd take an 8'6" 5 wt mid flex 3 piece rod that I could use for trout, salmon, panfish, large and smallmouth bass, and maybe even some small saltwater fish like schoolie bonefish.

griz
11-26-2005, 11:22 PM
huh, that's actually a pretty tough question. Even though 90% of my fishing is with a 4 pc, 5 wt, 8 1/2 ft rod in places where a 16 inch trout is a good one... the other 10 % is for AK salmon,rainbows and char...

So it would probably be a rod of compromise...a 4pc, 7wt, 9ft. Not perfect for either but would work for both.

A far more sadistic question would be: There is only one FLY left .... what would you want it to be?

I think mine would be a wooley bugger type fly I tie up.... though life would suck. :mad:

MJC
11-27-2005, 03:05 AM
Sage 9140-4 "greenie", and while you didn't ask, a Hardy #2 Salmon with a Rio MidSpey 7/8 floating line with a 15' leader tapered to a 10# tippet.

The fish: Steelhead, Steelhead, Steelhead, Steelhead, and more Steelhead!

The fly, a #2 purple "JailBait" with an enhanced booty. :whoa:

Eddie
11-27-2005, 10:14 AM
A fast action 9' 6wt 4pc. I recon I could catch most fish with a 6wt Sage TCR.
Small creeks and big poppers would be tough. Probably out gunned by king salmon, tarpon over 20#, jacks and tunoids much over 10#, and big permit ( I don't know. Never caught one over 10#). Only one? That would be it.

jfbasser
11-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Sage Xi2 9 ft 6 wt with a Tibor back country wide. Plenty of backing if the rod can't stop 'em :smokin:

DEERHAAWK
11-27-2005, 01:15 PM
St. Croix Avid series 9' 5wt 4pc w/ Battenkill. Just by virtue of the #'s, You hunt more small fish than you do large :D
DH

PS....I'd want a back-up, just incase the inevatable happens :Eyecrazy:

griz
11-27-2005, 03:28 PM
... Just by virtue of the #'s, You hunt more small fish than you do large :D

Yeah, I hear that, but those darn bigun's scar you for life when they get away though! :chuckle:

Fred Krow
11-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Mine would be a 9ft 7wt in 4pc, fast action.

Smallmouth, Largemouth, light saltwater, and some dinky trout.

Regards,
Fred Krow

24-7
11-27-2005, 07:42 PM
One of Bob Gorman's "Green River", Jade...9' 4wt served with a Loop 1.5 traditional .

Species.....Who cares as long as I'm casting

Dave

Moonlight
11-27-2005, 09:34 PM
9' 7wt EC Powell.

Nooksack Mac
11-28-2005, 03:24 PM
This is one of those mental exercise questions that are fun to think about, but have no practical use.
As for expense: who in all the world can never hope to afford more than one fly rod/reel for the rest of his miserable life?
As for portability: you can carry two rods of the same length and section numbers, with handles reversed, in a tube made for one. The weight difference is a few ounces.
For an all-purpose pair, I might pair a five with an eight-weight...or perhaps a six with a ten. But I'd never let myself be limited to even two, except for a specific short trip. I've carried two tubes with four five- or six-section rods in a backpack as carry-on luggage, and still had room for reels, vest, waders and wading boots. :smokin:

juro
11-28-2005, 04:51 PM
I agree, the mere thought of having only one rod - >shiver< ;) :devil:

It has made me think about some possibilities of configurability however...

t_richerzhagen
11-28-2005, 06:09 PM
would be a Meiser 11'7" for 5/6/7. Heavy for trout and light for steelhead or salmon over about 15 #, but works for everything else.

Dble Haul
11-29-2005, 08:14 AM
This is one of those mental exercise questions that are fun to think about, but have no practical use.

I'll agree with this. How's that for copping out? :razz:

teflon_jones
11-29-2005, 08:52 AM
nooksack, juro, and Mark, come on, no copping out!!! Armageddon has come and only one of your rods has survived the apocalypse! What are you going to fish for and with?!?!?!?!

Any mental exercise related to fishing absolutely has a practical use. It makes you think about fishing!!! :D

Dble Haul
11-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Okay, I suppose I could get away with a seven or eight weight. I tend to fish the salt and for large warmwater fish, so that would be my choice, even though small trout and panfish would be overgunned.

OC
11-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Ok so armageddon has hit. If any fly rod were to survive I guess it would be the old Fenwick 7 wt. Remember it's your last rod and it needs to last the rest of your life. Besides if we are in such a serious bind you will have to use it for retaining food. That old fenwick can be sat on, have the car door slamed on it. Oh wait a second what car it's armagedon only the christian right will have cars. :lildevl:

But I like moonlight's idea oing out with pure class. If I had his courage I'd keep my 7wt, 1948 Dawn Holbrook. It has made it this far, 57 years now so it could be the one.

Smolt
11-29-2005, 11:22 AM
11-foot, 7-weight, 4-piece Winston BIIx for atlantic salmon. Withh Armageddon approaching, I would be spending all my time on atlantics.

jfbasser
11-29-2005, 05:51 PM
:lildevl: I may have to revise my reply.....with the population in need of food I may have to go with the 11 ' Lami Spinner (medium heavy) coupled with the Daiwa Emblem Pro 5000 with 30# super braid and a Custom modified Cotton Cordell Pencil Popper :smokin:

JimW
11-30-2005, 06:49 AM
Assuming I've still got a couple of trips of gas left in the boat -

I'd say it would have to be a 14wt.

'cause once you hook a tuna, everything else is just bait. :smokin:

juro
12-04-2005, 10:58 PM
One of my top candidates would be my old discontinued Sage 9'6" 8wt RPL. It's served me well for stripers, blues, bonefish, steelhead, atlantic salmon, mahi-mahi, jacks, cuda, ocean coho, albies and bonito. I've landed many trout on it and also fall chinook into the 30's (pounds) and although completely over-gunned the fish were landed.

However I just can not imagine life without two-handed rods. I have visions of driving at high speed toward ground zero at the mere thought of a Spey-less universe! ;)

Bob Pauli
12-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Juro hit all my buttons with his post. Great job, Juro! You angonized at the loss of two-handed rods, but stepped up and made a choice.

An interesting choice it is. I also have a discontinued 9'6" Sage RPL, but in a seven-weight. It is everything I disike in a rod, and while it would do all jobs, it would do none with the pleasure and elan of the "right" rod.

Spring creek fishing in NE California is very important to me, pursuing Alaska-size rainbows with 20-foot leaders tapered to 7x. For this, all "wrist-rocket super casting rods" are poor choices. Also the chances of this river system remaining productive for the next 15 years are near 100%, unlike British Columbia's criminally mismanaged, diminishing paradises.

So my choice will be a medium-action 5/6 rod of about 9-feet, with a soft but fast-recovering tip that allows violent native rainbows to headshake at prodigious rates and amplitudes while the rod tip dances in and out applying major pressure with 7x tippet.

Such rods exist; I have three Scott G-series purchased in 1980-83 and two Performance Ply [Press Powell's design] of Chico, CA. And I see Scott introduced a new "G-2" series, claiming it has all the character of the original with benefits of modern technology.

My one rod will handle steelhead in the Trinity, Klamath and north Oregon coastal rivers, and it casts T-200 lines well.

As for the loss of fishing for and battling BC's giants--devastating, and missing the fun of casting Spey rods--put me in the car with Juro heading for ground zero.

juro
12-05-2005, 04:28 PM
... and with the advent of the mushroom cloud Bob, let's break out the 50 year single malts for the ride, what the hell :cool:

grizz0707
12-05-2005, 07:47 PM
I will gladly bring the poidy oil :hihi:

Bob Pauli
12-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Juro . . . yeah!
:cool:

Greg Pavlov
12-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Something that's like my Loop Blue Line 7 wt 11'6" two-handed rod, tho
perhaps a bit "faster." It is light enough to enjoy catching smaller fish,
is fine for steelhead in many situations, and can be overhead cast a