Venezuela group trip next fall? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Venezuela group trip next fall?

gammarus
11-25-2005, 09:17 PM
How about Venezuela? I have found a sailboat that sleeps 10 http://www.sailboat-obsession.com/l...es-en/index.htm
I have emailed them and they will charter the whole boat for $900/day, including meals. There is a guide who will meet at the boat and will take 3 people for $450. And a 13'Zodiac on board to boot. Perfect for a group of 6 taking turns with the guide and Zodiac for 6 days. Someone do the math on this one, I bet it would be pretty reasonable.

juro
11-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Gammarus -

Interesting... I might be able to do an exploratory visit since it's close to Aruba where my family goes regularly. I could hop over to Los Roques and look around before or after the family vacation. Last time I checked the airfare to island hop was cheap between the two.

gammarus
11-26-2005, 02:00 PM
My guess is that, once you've been out with the guide and have figured out the local patterns, it could be done DIY with the Zodiac. We'd just have to shuttle guys from the boat to different flats.
6 days onboard $5400
2 days guided (3 per day) $900
Total $6300
Split 6 ways $1050

Not bad for Venezuela.

petevicar
11-27-2005, 07:16 AM
Hi Gammarus

I have made seven trips to Los Roques in the past two years and as you can imagine I know it pretty well by now.
I have fished with most of the main guides there.

First impressions on your planned trip is that it sounds quite expensive. The accomodation on the island of Gran Roques is very cheap and there is a lot of it.

Using a guide is only important to fish the pancake flats and a fea other areas that are a long way off the main island.
There are a number of beaches that can be fished on a DIY basis and you can get to them with a water taxi.

In terms of when to go, then do not go in August as the place is overrun with Italian tourists.

It is a fantastic fishery which is available all year round as it is south of the hurrican belt and there are a great number of species to be caught.

Pete

gammarus
11-27-2005, 01:26 PM
It is a little pricier than staying in a posada and fishing unguided. I'm enjoying the thought of spending time on the boat and moving from place to place. It's like a poor mans Seychelles (without the Gt's). I don't think $1000 is that expensive to fish in one of the most sought after places for bones. Why don't you come for the trip and then we can forget about the guide alltogether?