Proposed dates for Acklins [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Proposed dates for Acklins

juro
11-25-2005, 03:38 PM
The ideal time frame for me is the beginning of March this year. I have a surprisingly busy late winter schedule mounting already for some reason go figure.

I've done some fairly extensive tide checking and we can either have big movement at off times or small tides at ideal times of day, no workable dates with both.

I vote for big tides and work with the times of day based on the tailing mania witnessed last time, in other words no need for high sun to see them when they are pushing hard just dont step on them.

We have to gather on Friday in Nassau and we will take the same flight to Acklins Sat AM, departing together the following SAT.

I propose something in the order of March 1-8 or Feb 25t - March 4th... any takers?

(twice the tides we had last time)

5.7mb WMV File - Acklins DVD Trailer (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/acklins05/teaser.wmv)

Large file - not for dial up users. DVD is much higher quality; this trailer is reduced for web.

Feiger
11-26-2005, 10:39 AM
I think either of those weeks will work, they miss the major projects. I'll k now middle of this coming week!!! It it's all a go, I'm in!!!!
Feiger

Dave17
11-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Either week works for me, if we go with one of these weeks I'm a definite :smokin:

juro
11-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Got the alert from Felton that those weeks are already taken! All of March is booked.

We'll have to pick some other dates...

Feiger
11-26-2005, 09:19 PM
and those weeks don't work for me either... finally got to look at the calander, and both weeks are booked for work... so...

Any ideas on an alternate date for this adventure?

Feiger

juro
11-26-2005, 09:57 PM
This would work as well...

Dave17
11-26-2005, 10:22 PM
The only weeks I can't do are MLK and pres. weekends. Everything else works for me. Did Felton say that those dates are taken by DIY guys or non fishermen?

petevicar
11-27-2005, 07:06 AM
Hi Juro
The trip sounds very interesting.
I would be interested in joining in if you'll have me.

Pete

juro
11-27-2005, 07:29 AM
Glad to have you Pete, just follow the thread and things should start getting very serious shortly.

Dave, Felton did not say.

How about we start by having people post their preferred dates and see if we can get enough responses to have multiple runs down there. Then we can pull dates together if needed to get the groups set up...

wrke
11-27-2005, 05:06 PM
Will check and try to work out on my calendar . . . was hoping it would have been march since I normally take a trip with my wife in April. Hope I'll be able to work it out.
Bill

juro
11-27-2005, 06:04 PM
BTW - there are dates open in Jan, Feb and April as well.

Feiger
11-28-2005, 10:18 PM
:(
January's to soon for me, and February and April are toast, according to my boss.... :(
I guess there's always next year....

gammarus
11-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Do you guys have a price estimate (not including flight) worked out? I have two guys and myself here on the west coast looking for a place to fish. We were thinking May but this may be the ticket. I am the only one in our group who has experience with flats fishing.

juro
11-29-2005, 12:04 AM
I have just learned there is some space available for 4 anglers (one unit of two) in March, depending on the week.

Maybe the best way to do this is to pitch some dates for each month - Jan, Feb, March, April. If you can make the dates and there are enough anglers, then we book it and go.

The 2005 alumni, myself and Felton, our host can provide you with everything you need to have a ridiculous bonefishing adventure.

teflon_jones
11-29-2005, 09:18 AM
I wish, oh how I wish I could come along, but with the wife due with our first kid in a few days, money for fishing trips next year is going to be limited to a short weekend trip somewhere within driving distance in the Northeast. I'll be posting about that trip within a couple of months to see if anybody else is interested...

petevicar
11-29-2005, 12:26 PM
I am interested in a trip at the end of February or beginning of March.

Pete

Dave17
11-30-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm flexible and can make any date, although I'd rather go sooner then later to satisfy my bonefish fix. I may even be able to do two. One full week and one saturday to wednesday

Dave

flydoc
11-30-2005, 05:27 PM
After doing a more realistic reassessment of my financial (malpractice insurance bill, tax bill, etc) and physical situations (i.e. ability to withstand a death march across the flats), I am forced to the sad conclusion that I will not be able to do the Ridiculous this time around. I will strive to squirrel away some funds and shed the extra baggage in preparation for 2007. In the meantime, I'll just have to be contented with redfish/snook/seatrout on the cheap (hanging out at my folks' rental condo in Florida mid March) while awaiting the Spring Clave and the return of our striped friends...I hope all who do get to Acklins leave some action for those of us who can only dream. :(
Flydoc

juro
11-30-2005, 09:57 PM
Do you guys have a price estimate (not including flight) worked out? I have two guys and myself here on the west coast looking for a place to fish. We were thinking May but this may be the ticket. I am the only one in our group who has experience with flats fishing.

PM on the way

nevada caster
12-11-2005, 09:05 PM
I could probably do April or May but I am a firm beleiver in "the later the better" . IF someone would like to consider these later dates, please keep me informed.. I have previously been to Christmas Island, Grand Abaco, 2 places in Mexico and have done 6 or more trips to Belize

jackk

juro
12-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Not the case in Acklins... we could go there right now and it would be fine (weather, fishing, temps, lack of cold fronts, etc). It's so close to the equator and on the far end of the archipelago. In fact May is in the rainy season and I would avoid going there that late.

nevada caster
12-12-2005, 09:37 AM
I have always been colnfused by "the rainy season." For some time I have been going to Belize in the interval from May to Oct only to be told that is the rainy season. Yet the only bad weather I have had is terrible winds in March, and lots of clouds and rain in November. Also I have been cautioned that cold fronts can effect the fishing during the early part of the year in Belize, and at least part of the Bahamas. Is Aklins so far south , and east?, to be immune from cold fronts?

If you have a price estimate, could I get it? Thanks

juro
12-12-2005, 10:27 AM
PM on the way

bonefishmon
12-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Juro. Please check your PM.

Phil

jimS
12-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Juro, whats the verdict on a date(s)? March would be ideal for me, but as you indicated, the condo is booked on one side. Four guys in the other side for March?
Felton has a winner with the location and accommodation.

juro
12-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Well the Wilmington Fly Show is March 10-12. I have a presentation at TU later in the month, the 25th; and a trip with my better half planned after that - so for me it's late February or the beginning of March in terms of avail, but I will need to re-check the tides. I had some killer tides pegged at one point but plain forgot. Day job crises drain the brain of fun thoughts.

Summary:

I can do Feb or early March. Anyone can run a trip, I don't need to be there since we have all the logistics worked out from our last visit and Felton is da MAN.

Four man trip in March works for me.

Eight man trip in February works too.

No reason not to go multiple groups this year.

juro
12-15-2005, 11:12 PM
FEB 25th - MAR 4th

If you are interested, and ready to commit - we will set up the Acklins Clave private chat area and get this this rolling.

The rental appears taken for that week, but I believe there will be one unit available and will check with Felton today.

Dave17
12-16-2005, 10:25 AM
That week is perfect, my calendar is completely clear. I'm committing right now.

I was in the Biscyane area this week on business and drove past some very fishy looking waters. Didn't have the chance to fish at all but it really got me fired up to get this off the ground this year. Let me know if you need me to do anything on the planning side.

Do we know if the boat will be available from Felton this year? Just curoius. Can't wait for the private area to be up and running.

Dave

juro
12-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Does anyone remember the offset of tides from Datum Bay to various locales? This is important in determination of dates.

thanks. I will have a chance to look it up later today but would like to compare notes with other ridiculous alumni.

FredA
12-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Seems tides varied up to 4 hours plus as I recall.

petevicar
12-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi Juro
Last week I booked a trip to Cuba on March 10. I am not sure that I can get permision from SWMBO to do another trip just before.
Is there the possibility of me going a few days earlier and then leaving a few days earlier? We have the situation here (in Germany) that Carnival starts on Feb 23 and ends on Feb 28 (Mardis Gras). It is a good time to be out of the country.

I would really like to meet up with you guys.

Pete

Dave17
12-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Pete,

I don't know about the availability of the rental property, but keep in mind that there are only two flights a week into Acklins. They both leave from Grand Bahama, Saturday and Wednesday mornings. (If things haven't changed from last year).

Dave

juro
12-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Actually, the flights leave from Nassau but otherwise correct. We stay in Nassau the first night and buy fresh foods for the week, flying out the next morning.

On the way home it's same day out of Nassau.

Dave17
12-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Woops :o , you're right Juro

juro
12-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Not to claim swami rights on this but I just cross-referenced things from last year and the dates I specified should represent a truly ridiculous situation for the FOUR anglers who can make it (only one unit available). I can see the silver tails waving at me already.

I have an idea, maybe we could find a comparable den in Crooked and switch off during the week so we can each partake of the riches of each island in the two-island archipelago!

There is a ferry that runs across, and it leaves from a little town with a nice restaurant (we ate there last year). The group could have a rendezvous meal and switch locales during the week for a change of pace.

Since the other unit is not available... thoughts? I will ask Felton for recommendations on a Crooked Island rental.