Fly fishing north/central Florida? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly fishing north/central Florida?

EddieF
11-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Hi. I live in Virginia and have enjoyed fly fishing for trout and smallmouth in the VA/MD/WV area, and recently got to go to NY and catch some nice salmon. This is my first season fishing, and I am hooked, to say the least.

So hooked, in fact, that whenever I go anywhere, I consider the fishing options. This February we'll be visiting family in Florida (Palm Coast). My wife's dad lives on the intercoastal on one of those canals. I know there are fish in there, I've seen 'em. But other than fishing between docked boats in his back yard, if I could set aside a day for fly fishing around the Jacksonville Daytona or Orlando areas, what should I do? I'm trying to avoid spending $400 for a guided day, but I have not ruled it out if there are no other attractive options.

Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I love the idea of fishing for species that are totally new to me. And maybe the intercoastal/back yard option is the way to go, I don't know.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Ed.

mike beliveau
11-22-2005, 11:08 PM
I am getting ready to leave Buffalo NY DEC. 1 for five month in daytona beach. I have not been able to find anybody who fly fished around daytona beach in the last 2 years. I woldn,t fish the canals with out a local person as a guide who no the area

DEERHAAWK
11-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Eddie,
I lived in Cocoa Beach and fished the Banana, Indian, and Mosquito Lagoon areas. Excellent! BUT, you need a boat of some sort, canoe is good, or kayak.
Do your homework and I'm sure you will hit some action!
Check local regs and seasons.... and have fun!

Deerhawk