Islamorada Backcountry/Flats Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Islamorada Backcountry/Flats Report

Capt.PeteRowney
11-20-2005, 08:21 AM
Greetings from Islamorada-

Well the last few weeks since Wilma have been interesting to say the least. For those of you wondering... yes, the Florida Keys are still here. The water is slowly starting to clear but the winds of late have kept things unsettled. It seems that we've gone from hurricane mode directly into our winter weather pattern of winds out of the north and the water temps have been dropping accordingly. Oceanside and nearby bayside flats have been hit or miss for sightfishing bones but the fish we're seeing are all hogs. Snook are hanging at the bridges but this is pretty much a live bait game. I've been sightfishing some snook hanging under cover on the oceanside flats but they demand an accurate sidearm cast in their face . Plenty of small to medium tarpon around as well as the occasional permit. Out in the Everglades, the water is still settling but the fishing is returning to normal. Plenty of nice reds around as well as some big trout. Parts of the bay are still funked up with algae but are beginning to clear. Hopefully Gamma doesn't mess things up too bad. -Pete

josko
11-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Business a little tight lately, Capt, eh?

jfbasser
11-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the report, Pete. I will definitely have to stop by a week from Friday :lildevl:

Eric
11-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Again, thanks for the reports. I hope to get down to southern Florida sometime next April (2006 that is). Any fish around then? Had some fair fishing for trout, snook, etc in the Fort Myers area, but am hoping for some hotter action this year.

cheers,

Eric