It's not over! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: It's not over!

bonefishmon
11-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Yesterday and this morning the Rhoddy beaches were on fire from Charlestown to Watch Hill. Lots of micros from shore. Saw some monsters landed. The bigger ones are under the Gannets which were within Atlantis range. Fat lady has laringitis.
It shut down at high tide today. Went home at 11am.

Phil

GregD
11-18-2005, 12:01 PM
I thought there would be some more action left with bluefish being around still.
Glad to here it. If the weather is good I may come visit your neck of the coastline Sunday. Are you going to be out and about fishin?

Greg.

bonefishmon
11-18-2005, 01:41 PM
No, I am not out fishing on Sunday. I have Friday and Saturdays off but may consider hooky.

Phil

Paxton
11-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Sure Phil......just after I packed my equipment in ice for the winter and ordered anti-depressants! :lildevl:
Ron

juro
11-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Hmmm maybe the sweetwater trip will have to wait...

FishHawk
11-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Knew this would happen, after Mike Mayo's report on the school of herring. I'm like Paxton my gear is put away. Will be going to RI for Thanksgiving might put a rod in the trunk of the car. :lildevl: A little fishing is better than watching football on TV after the turkey. FishHawk

bonefishmon
11-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Juro. No excuses! Get that CND down here pronto! It's worth the trip just to see the Gannets nosediving for herring. Snow is right around the corner.

Phil

GregD
11-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Well I think the weather is too inviting to pass up, temps of 55 and sunny with little wind. I'm up for a little fishing, bringing the Kayak. Anyone else game?

Greg.

Adrian
11-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Hey Greg - sent you a PM.

Hope to see you tommorow :smokin:

Striper
11-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Went to take the boat out today locally and the battery was dead :mad: Went and got a new one then washed the boat down to clean it from all the leaves, now I think I will have to run up to R.I. in the morning to hit some Gannet frenzy's. Had a friend out today in that area but have not heard from him?????

bonefishmon
11-20-2005, 06:00 AM
Yeh Mike! You've got to get out there! You may be the only boat on those fish. Look forward to your report.

Phil

Adrian
11-20-2005, 07:28 PM
MAde the ride up to RI and the wind was blowing about twice as hard as last week. Pity because the birds and fish were going ganbusters about 1/2 mile off the beach. So I went shorebound and tried several spots between Pt. Judith and Napatree but nothing to show for it except one good pull in the breachway earlier on. This evening as the sun went down the birds seemed to stretch all the way across to Block Island and like Phil said, not many boats harrasing the schools. Probably my last trip of the year but I won't say definitely :lildevl:

Quentin
11-20-2005, 09:17 PM
I took a ride down to RI and SE CT also. Saw thousands of birds, mostly way out, but some appeared to be within range of the metal and plug chuckers. Didn't see any of them connect, although I did see a blue that had been landed at Weekapaug. Found loads of micros in the wash at Misquamicut and Ocean Beach and had non-stop action for a while at both places. Nothing big but lots of 'em! Guess that will have to hold me until spring unless we have some unusually warm weather in December :D .

Q

GregD
11-22-2005, 09:04 AM
I didn't get out till later in the day and heard that the wind was howling in RI alot more than the forcast I saw earlier in the week. Decided to checkout the Cape Cod Canal to see what I could find on the leeward side. Saw a dozen or so other fisherman out and a few boats. Loads of birds hanging around as though the blitz happened earlier or waiting in anticipation, some diving on bait by the second green bouy.

My ISP was down and I couldn't get Adrian's latest Cell phone number to try and hookup, But it sounds like I didn't miss too much. Located some micro schoolies along the beach, battled the winds for awhile and called it a day. I may get out this Thanksgiving weekend again down in RI or CT. Hopefully on a relatively warm and windless day :smile: .

Cheers,
Greg.

Striper
11-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Sorry for the late report but the holidays have me running ragged. I made it out last weekend and found the big flocks of birds that everyone had been talking about. Most of the birds were gannets and they were crashing the water like big bombs going off. Unfortunately the action was due to many schools of huge bluefish that were chasing schools of herring. I managed to catch a bunch of the big choppers on fly and conventional. They were all huge 14lb.+ bluefish that usually only showup late in the fall. They all looked like big largemouth bass with giant distended bellies full of herring and bunker of varying sizes. I tried the middle of the flocks and the edges as well as the beachline looking for bass but never found a single bass. There was fish right in to the beach wash and there were some guy's on the beach fishing but I never saw them hooked up. I am not sure why they did not hookup but I think they were mainly throwing top waters and the fish were hanging near the bottom. If they had thrown something heavy and let it sink to the bottom they would have had non-stop hookups. I dropped down some jigs and bucktails to see what the marks were on the fishfinder and always hooked up within 30-60 sec. with yet another bluefish. I fished for several hours but tired of the bluefish and decided to head back west towards the ramp in Groton. Man was it a long, cold, wet ride back. I was very happy to have the full rain gear and plenty of layers on as I was soaked by the time I got to the ramp, plus the wind was honking about 25+ mph. by the time I hung it up. May have been the last excursion for 2005 as it doesn't look too good on the weather front and it is getting late to keep putting off the boat storage duties. I have until Dec. 1 and will probably wait till then to finally put her to bed. This season was not nearly as good for me as previous years except for the Tuna Fun back in July it was unremarkable to say the least. The bass fishing was not up to normal success levels and the fishing was never very easy to figure out. I did not put in as much time as previous seasons due to the gas situation either so it is hard to say if I would have done better with more time on the water. Well I hope next season brings better bassin' and from what I read the stocks according to ASMFC are in good shape :confused: It does seem like YOI is in good shape and recruitment is in good shape so we will have to see, hopefully they do something with the forage situation and enact some strict regulations on the baitfish stocks this should complete the plan and bring the fish back to more historic levels. Happy Holidays to everyone and here's to a bang up 2006 season and more Tuna :) :Eyecrazy: