Winter Activities [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Winter Activities

Smcdermott
11-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Well, I absolutely hate to say it but this may be the end of the season for me. I have plans this weekend and it not getting any warmer out. May be able to sneak out over Thanksgiving but that will most likely be it.

This has me turning to how to best utilize the offseason. Practicing my knots and rigging will definitely be on the list as my tackle really got tested with the tuna this season.

I also thought maybe we could rejuvenate the fly swaps of the past. An idea I had was maybe upping the ante with a little friendly competition. Do a swap a la Striblue with unlimited participants tying a specified number of flies but each would be posted and judged for a winner who would receive a full set in nice box or something. Each participant could send in the flies with a few bucks to cover the cost of a nice box and the meister could package it up and send it out. Any other ideas welcomed. If we start early and have a generous turnaround we hopefully could get some decent participation.

Any other ideas? Like/hate that one? Hopefully if we keep things busy it will be April before we know it.

Already got the shack nasties and the boat isn't even wrapped yet!

Sean

Dble Haul
11-17-2005, 11:18 AM
I think that this off season is going to go quicker than normal for me. I'm going to try to hit the major shows, and my involvement with the Connecticut Fly Fishermen's Association is growing. I'll be teaching an advanced tying class in January and February, and helping to teach the saltwater school in March and April. So really, I just need something to occupy me through December. :cool:

Sean, I like your idea for the contest swap. It's different, and might energize more people than normal to participate.

Another way to stay busy is to plan specific trips for target species. I had wanted to hit Louisiana for some redfishing in September of this year for my birthday, but we all know what happened down there this fall. Then I thought about the gulf coast of Texas for the same type of fishing, and another hurricane soon followed in that area. Maybe I should look into another target species..... :eek:

Then again, my trips next year might be reduced in number when the wife and I return from a trip to China with a souvenir. :smokin:

juro
11-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Swaps sound good to me Sean! I need to make up for a light tying year.

Smcdermott
11-17-2005, 12:22 PM
So far I am thinking of a hardtail swap and Northeast flats patterns. I also have a trip planned to Cozumel in May for a friends wedding so a Bonefish/Permit/Tarpon swap could be a possiblity as well.

Sean

bonefishmon
11-20-2005, 05:03 AM
Mark. Adopting a child in China?

Phil

Paxton
11-20-2005, 08:06 AM
Looks like you guys have better plans for "winter activities" than what I started out with yesterday. Our daughter bought a townhouse (it's just a foundation at the moment, to be completed in March)...yesterday she picked us up and we went to the Natick/Framingham area to shop for bed sheets, comfortors, blankets, throw pillows, and throws...started at 10:30 a.m. and got kicked out of the last store at closing at 9:30 p.m.. :eek:
It was an amazing correlation to flats fishing.....long drive to get to the area....a lot of standing and looking.....a lot of walking....checking out patterns...hoping to hit on something.....finding the quarry.....many "keepers"......long drive home..an expensive day :chuckle: Where the heck was Keith??? Could have used his shuttle from mall to mall and store to store......my feet are killing me! :hihi:
I was promised a stop at the Natick Store (FF place)....that never materialized because the "fish" were hitting. Guess I was owed that one for the many times that it was just too late to stop at the Christmas Tree Shop before the Sagamore Bridge :)
Seriously....it was a great day....nice to help the offspring begin to build their nest :smokin:
Will spend the winter months tying some flies for our annual trip to Sanibel Florida and some to greet the spring migration..oh...furniture making as well....daughter has put in an order for an entertainment center and a kitchen island....will continue to read my FF mags and fantasize about a trip to Belize (come on lottery)..see you guys at the shows!
In the meantime...if any of you need advice on how to stalk and capture a throw pillow....just p.m. me :) Just a hint.....they seem to be attracted to "green" or "plastic" slowly presented near the register.
Ron

FishHawk
11-20-2005, 08:24 AM
I'll be tying for 06. Might even build another rod. FishHawk :smokin:

Dble Haul
11-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Mark. Adopting a child in China?

Phil

Yes.

Let the paperwork begin! :Eyecrazy:

Eddie
11-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Mark, that is such good news. It won't take long befor you forget what your life used to be like. And you won't miss it.
This winter will be long. Hopefully I will be tying up some flies. The last couple of years I have been recycling (washing, combing out, gluing new eyes and re packaging) old beat flies. Amazing how many I have at the bottom of bags, in between cushions and under car seats. Now I need to get back to the bench. I would participate in a swap.

Stevo
11-21-2005, 05:31 PM
I got bored, so on Sunday Jamie and I headed into chalk stream country and tried our hands at some Grayling. It made a change using 4# rods and the scenery sure was pretty. The temperature hardly made it above zero all day, and as a result, we constantly had the snakes freezing up on us!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/Gonzo1964/IMGP0230.jpg

We even managed a few fish as well...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/Gonzo1964/IMGP0231.jpg

bonefishmon
11-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Yikes Stevo! I must visit! Will I need a few tweed jackets? It all started there, did it not? I have relatives just outside of London.

Phil

jamie
11-22-2005, 05:56 AM
bonefishmon, You'll need to wear plus fours. A ghillie named Jeeves is also required to carry your grouse pate toasties and keep the port at the right temperature.

Winter sees me mainly on the river chasing the grayling on light gear. That day out with Stevo the temperature hovered at around -8 celcius all day. The grayling just love it cold and were very obliging to two fishermen with acute cabin fever. It was warmer in the water that on the bank!! :eek: Had so many layers of clothing on it was difficult to sit down in the car :chuckle: and even harder to get back out again.

Manage a few trips out to the salt on a few marks which hold the odd overwintering european sea bass.

Stevo
11-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Plus fours... Love it. LOL :chuckle:

The pub lunch at mid-day was superb. Roast Turkey with all the trimmimgs. James chose the roast lamb.
We even caught a few out of season Brownies as well. Up-stream nymphing only mind!
Not sure who Jeeves is... Must be James's servant! :hihi:

flydoc
11-22-2005, 10:12 PM
FYI- ghillie is a Scottish term for a private game warden- they used to wear camoflage suits consisting of shreds of drab colored fabric to break up their outline while stalking poachers on their masters' estates- similar suits were later employed by military snipers (starting in WW1) and hunters worldwide. :wink:
Flydoc