Discarded Tippet & Leader Storage While Fishing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Discarded Tippet & Leader Storage While Fishing

Bob Pauli
11-16-2005, 10:09 AM
I have no better method than poking the mess into my waders or a spare pocket, but the stuff keeps trying to escape!

What methods have members used to simplify this duty?

JimW
11-16-2005, 03:26 PM
I eat the stuff, I hear it's good for you.

Seriously I hear ya on the stuffing it in your pocket problem. On the boat I put it in the glove compartment but even then there are escapees. I must admit that some has not made it to the pocket in the heat of a blitz. Seems like something sticky would be one way to tame the clippings.

Willie Gunn
11-16-2005, 03:37 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d113/Bob1348/GadgetsG.jpg

The hook part is hooked (!) over the branch & the unwound cord used to pull the branch close enough for the fly to be recovered.
Also shown is a clutch pencil where the lead has been replaced with an eyeless needle. This is used to undo tight knots, such as windknots. It has never been used
Lastly the cap from a 35mm film cannister has a short length of grooved dowel attached with a screw. Stapled around the dowel is a length of velcro. Any waste tippet is wound around the dowel and the cap replaced. At home, a small pair of scissors is run along the groove to cut the tippet into short lengths for disposal.
All these are old ideas but I hope of interest.
Bob G

I borrowed this from the British Forum

teflon_jones
11-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Great collection of tools Willie!

My method for waste line is to keep one dedicated pocket in my vest for it. But the stuff does try its best to escape. I might try the film canister idea Wille posted. Seems like it would work pretty darn well.

Charlie
11-16-2005, 03:44 PM
I usually bring an extra Ziploc bag to stuff it in. Usually one from another leader. When I get home I chop them up in to very small pieces so nothing will ever get tangled up in them.

Charlie