Trout fly swap? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Trout fly swap?

John Desjardins
11-06-2001, 08:47 AM
Is anyone interested in a trout fly swap?

Hawkeye
11-06-2001, 09:20 AM
I would be very interested though I haven't tied trout flies in a loooong time and I was never very good at it. If I keep it simple I shouldn't embarrass myself too bad. :)

Dble Haul
11-06-2001, 09:21 AM
Count me in. I'm interested. :-)

Mark

juro
11-06-2001, 09:48 AM
Count me in!

How many?
One pattern or various patterns?
Wet, dry or streamer?
Extra fly for the swapmeister (tradition)

John Desjardins
11-06-2001, 10:11 AM
Hawkeye, The simplest flies are the best IMHO.

juro (11-06-2001 10:48 a.m.):
Count me in!

How many?
One pattern or various patterns?
Wet, dry or streamer?
Extra fly for the swapmeister (tradition)

Since I started the topic I'll volunter as the meister. I was thinking that we could do it like the striper fly swaps and tie six then mix and match. It doesn't matter to me if they are wet's dry's or streamers.

juro
11-06-2001, 10:12 AM
You da' meister!

Six various it is, and one for da' meister of course. Let me know if you need photo / scanner help so we can post the recipes and images in the archive.

Dble Haul
11-06-2001, 10:21 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but when you say to tie six flies for mix and match, do you mean to tie six of the same pattern that will be distributed among everyone, or six different patterns?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Mark

John Desjardins
11-06-2001, 11:09 AM
Dble Haul (11-06-2001 11:21 a.m.):
Please excuse my ignorance, but when you say to tie six flies for mix and match, do you mean to tie six of the same pattern that will be distributed among everyone, or six different patterns?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Mark

How the swap works is that you submit six flies of your choice and receive six back. They can be six of the same pattern or six different patterns, although six of the same pattern is easier to photograph.
I am assuming that we will get more than six people. That being the case, the flies you get back will be a random mix of the flies tied by the other tiers.

I hope this helps clear up the "mix and match " question.

Juro, I should be able to handle the pictures without a problem. I just need to know the file formats, image sizes, etc you would like them in.

Dble Haul
11-06-2001, 11:21 AM
Thank you for the clarification. I suppose that I'll tie six of the same pattern, or three each of two patterns. Just say when they're due and where to send 'em to, and I'll start.

Yeah, like I need an excuse to tie flies.

Mark

saltRon
11-06-2001, 07:56 PM
Sounds Like a good idea to this guy from the shores of the Pacific and the province of British Columbia.
Will send two of the never fail patterns For our wild and warey Kamloops Trout. I am in for 6.
saltRon

DFix
11-07-2001, 11:59 AM
hook size max/min??? wet/dry/streamer ??? (don't know what you guys like)

John Desjardins
11-07-2001, 12:28 PM
DFix (11-07-2001 12:59 p.m.):
hook size max/min??? wet/dry/streamer ??? (don't know what you guys like)

Dave, to me at least, it doesn't matter what size or type if it catches fish.

How does mid February sound to everyone as a date to get the flys done by? I'll send an e-mail to everyone with my shipping info, etc in a couple of days.

Dble Haul
11-07-2001, 12:39 PM
Mid-February sounds fine to me, although my flies will be ready much sooner than that. I have a lot going on, so I'll tie them up sooner than later.

Mark

John Desjardins
12-06-2001, 12:29 PM
Boy have I let this go without following up :o . The people signed up for the fly swap are:
Hawkeye
Juro
Dbl Haul
Salt Ron
DFix
and myself

Anyone else out there interested. I'll get the e-mail with info out this evening.

troutbum
12-08-2001, 10:05 AM
I'll tie my secret rainbow fly....DEADLY on brrokies and bows!

John Desjardins
12-12-2001, 10:19 AM
As of today the tiers in the swap are:

Hawkeye
Juro
Dbl Haul
Salt Ron
DFix
Troutbum
Brad
Adrian
Eddie
Pete aka Frenchcreek
and myself

If anyone else is interested, or hasn't received the instructions, post here or send me a message and I'll get the info out to you.

Adrian
12-13-2001, 11:33 PM
John, its about time I signed up for one of these things. Put my name in the hat. I will do six* traditionals - not sure which pattern yet (Silver Invicta maybe), gotta dig through some very old materials and see whats still viable;) Mid Feb sounds like a very doable delivery date.

* Plus something for the meister of course!!!

Eddie
12-15-2001, 05:06 PM
I would like to be included in the fly swap.

Adrian
12-26-2001, 03:10 PM
Well, I dusted off the trout fly tying chest this past week-end and found a small pack of genuine seals fur. Must be 20 years old at least!

Six + 1 Invictas, size 12, mailed this afternoon.

I wont say how many got scrapped before my fingers got used to handling something smaller than a size 8 hook. ;)

FrenchCreek
12-26-2001, 05:38 PM
If it's not too late...
I'll tie the Bow River Bugger, a deadly local streamer
and
the Chopaka May, a may fly dry that just can't be passed up

John Desjardins
12-29-2001, 09:43 PM
Hi, I just wanted to update every one on the fly swap. This week flies arrived from Trout Bum (PT Rainbow slayer) and Adrian (Invicta). Both sets of flies look great. The current list of participants is below.

Hawkeye
Juro
Dbl Haul
Salt Ron
DFix
Troutbum
Brad
Adrian
Eddie
Pete aka Frenchcreek
Nate Bailey
and myself

If anyone else is interested, or hasn't received the instructions, post here or send me a message and I'll get the info out to you.

Nate Bailey
01-10-2002, 10:15 PM
im in I have a killer golden stone that you'll would like ....Nate

John Desjardins
01-11-2002, 08:34 AM
Hi Nate, Your in the swap. I'll get the info out to you today.

DFix
01-22-2002, 03:36 PM
I'm okay with six random, but I don't get the how if there are thirteen of us - I'm finishing up for total count.

John Desjardins
01-23-2002, 03:44 PM
Dave, I'm sorry that I missed your post last night and didn't respond in a more timely manner.
I'm okay with six random, but I don't get the how if there are thirteen of us

Your flies will go to 6 people at random, while you'll get six back at random. I'm the randomizer in what you get back. If this doesn't answer the question please e-mail me.

Hawkeye
01-29-2002, 09:34 PM
I finally finished my swap flys and will be mailing them soon. What a shift in gears from saltwater tying. I SUCK even worse at FW flies. My apologies in advance but with the apology goes a promise that they will catch fish - at least they do for me.

juro
01-30-2002, 05:30 AM
I'm just starting my batch and Hawkeye, rest assured they are worse than yours and I haven't even tied most of them yet! ;) I think my fingers grew ten sizes fatter since the last midge I've tied.

Great job John - you've got swapmeistering in your blood.

John Desjardins
01-30-2002, 08:29 AM
Hawkeye & Juro I look forward to seeing your flies. Frenchcreek's flies arrived last night and I have to say that compared to his my muddlers & dry flies look like a beginners. Now, its time for me to get started tying my flies for the swap myself.

DFix
01-31-2002, 01:01 PM
I tied a streamer.

Brad
02-01-2002, 11:14 AM
Flies are in the mail. These RS-2's are so easy to tie it is embarrassing. However, they have outfished almost all my other patterns combined on the tailwaters.

Brad

Mean Gene
02-06-2002, 03:50 PM
Hey there. New guy here who needs some clarification. I asked about this swap thing over on the steelhead page and then came here so I'm a little clearer on the idea. I see John talked about pictures. Can you explain this to me a bit more? I would be very interested in getting into this swap. I just need to know the particulars. Thanks!

Hawkeye
02-06-2002, 04:32 PM
Hey Mean Gene,

Welcome aboard!

The swap particulars:

Tie up to six trout flies and one for the meister.

Send them to the swap meister by February 15th.

He will take pictures of your flies.

He will send you the same number of flies you sent in randomly picked from the other entrants.

The picture of your flie(s) will be posted on the board and you can add directions for tying the fly as well as recommended uses.

As well as fun the swaps help us build the future fly library for the site.

If you are interested I am running a saltwater fly swap with the same structure that has a deadline of March 1st. The last post on the original thread was 12-24 and there are two related threads with most recent postings of 2-5 and 2-6.

John Desjardins
02-06-2002, 06:53 PM
Thanks for hopping in and explaining Greg, you beat me to it.

Mean Gene, I'll send you the shipping info tonite.
Brad, I look forward tro seeing the RS2's. I bought some last year in Colorado & keep confusing them with Barr emergers so this will help me sort that out.

John Desjardins
02-07-2002, 11:02 PM
Hawkeye, your flies arrived tonight. They look great.

Hawkeye
02-08-2002, 05:11 PM
Thanks but methinks you are too kind. ;)

Mean Gene
02-10-2002, 11:12 AM
John, my flies will be in the mail tomarrow.

John Desjardins
02-11-2002, 09:08 AM
Gene, I look forward to seeing the flies.

Mean Gene
02-11-2002, 07:58 PM
I was informed by my lovely bride that today was a federal holiday and the post office was closed. Therefore the flies will go out tomarrow.

troutbum
03-29-2002, 01:36 PM
Any idea how this swap is going? I havent seen any flies yet....Seasons over in a few weeks :D

kcsmes
03-29-2002, 03:51 PM
Never did one before - but I'm in.

kcsmes
03-29-2002, 03:56 PM
Woops: Thought this was a new thread. Apparently you guys have been tying since November. Count me in next time.

John Desjardins
03-29-2002, 07:07 PM
This swap will be done soon I've been negligent on the process but it is progressing. I'm waiting on 1 persons flies that have been in the mail for a looong time. I just sent that person an e-mail with the following info
I'll wait one more week for them and if they aren't in by then I will mail
everyone their flies. If yours show up after that I'll send you an
assortement of the meister flies. I got the pictures of the flies
done today. If you want a look they are at

www.ultranet.com/~dsjrdns/2002flys

Thanks for your patience, they are going to get there.

Adrian
03-29-2002, 08:39 PM
John

Nice camera work! Looking forward to seeing them up close!

Hawkeye
03-30-2002, 09:26 AM
That confirms it. I'm officially embarrassed! Great work everyone. It looks like we have a lot of subsurface fishermen out there - only one or two dries in the bunch.

cane86
03-30-2002, 10:05 AM
John:

The photos of the flies are very well done. I'm so impressed that I'm in favor of another swap, if you're willing. This is a great way to experiment with flies that you might not ordinarily tie.

Thanks for the great work.

Lefty
04-02-2002, 09:01 AM
I'm not in the swap but, I looked at the pics and- wow nice flies! Someday we'll have to have a tying clave just for trout flies. You guys can show me how to twist them up.

Lefty

Mean Gene
04-03-2002, 07:43 PM
Hey, those are some cool looking flies! It's great to see what other people are using. Love to see new stuff. I just got a bunch of glass beads from a craft shop and I've tying up Killer Caddis. Don't know how they'll work but they sure look neat! LOL!

Brad
04-04-2002, 02:37 PM
Check out this great looking caddis

http://www.flyshop.com/bench/features/3-98cdc/cdc.html