My final 2005 outing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: My final 2005 outing

Dble Haul
11-14-2005, 11:00 AM
I met up with Adrian and GregD yesterday for what was to be my final fishing of 2005. We met shortly after sunrise at a Rhode Island salt pond and launched our kayaks in search of fishy activity. We saw some significat bird activity which seemed to get farther and farther away as we paddled towards it. When we finally arrived, we started to get into some schoolies.

The combination of wind and glare made it very difficult to identify what the birds and fish were on. Even the gulls were able to pluck bait out of the water, so I don't think it was anything too quick or agile. We chased the birds for several hours, taking breaks for food and rest. It was fun, and it was great to spend my last outing with the guys.

Highlights: Simple fishing, watching Adrian hook up on a double only ten feet from his kayak, seeing Greg work the Atlantis from his kayak, and everyone catching fish

Lowlights: Paddling over one mile into a twenty mph headwind in the morning, and then in the early afternoon watching nimrods power right up on top of breaking fish that we had already paddled halfway to in that same headwind.... :roll:

Quentin
11-14-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm done too, although I may still make one final trip to Old Saybrook for schoolies and shad.

Sounds like your final outing was a little more productive than mine: grand total for the weekend was one decent sight-fished schoolie (and a couple rejections from much larger fish :rolleyes: ), one miniature malformed schoolie, one shad and one window pane flounder. Highlight was seeing a mola (I think?) paddling around about 40 yds off the beach at the east end of the canal. I've never seen one before but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

I think there's still plenty of good fishing to be had. If I lived closer to the coast I'd definitely be out a few more times.

Q

jfbasser
11-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Pretty sure that I am done, too. Watch a little TV like my friend Snoopy :smokin: In two weeks I leave for a cruise with the better half. Bringing a rod to see what lives on those private beaches that the cruise line uses :biggrin: When I return I plan at least one more local trip around Christmas, hopefully in a snowstorm :lildevl:

FishHawk
11-15-2005, 05:24 AM
The Fat Lady has sung for me. This has been my best season yet. Got my personal best Striper which will carry me throught to the 06 season. FishHawk :D

GregD
11-15-2005, 11:56 PM
I have been having a hard time convincing myself to give it up for the fall. The weather and has been pretty nice for this time of year and some of those big cow bass are out there. ;) Plus seeing there are still some bluefish around suggests there are still some fish moving through.

It was a pleasure to get together with Mark and Adrian for our first Kayak outing together and another shot at some striper fishing. Alittle windy and choppy as far as conditions go, But there were some fish around. I wouldn't be opposed to another Kayak outing on a nice day if we don't have 20-30 mph winds. ;)

Mark - Any interest in reviving CT UFT, I can probably get those rooms again this year.

Greg.

Guernseybass
11-17-2005, 12:22 PM
is your season finishing later than usual guys ?

I wonder if with a late start and finish this year ( same in the UK), next season will start late too.

we just started a cold snap here too.

Mark.