Most memorable trout of 2005 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Most memorable trout of 2005

juro
11-13-2005, 11:14 PM
This one came from a remote Washington state river. Battled like the dickens, gorgeous to behold - a real rainbow in it's native environment. Kept in the water, quickly released.

griz
11-14-2005, 01:51 AM
I hope this works. It's a big 5 mb movie file(you've been warned for those with dial up!!! :tsk_tsk: ) of some lunker cutts swimming around the shallows of a remote high lake up in the Mt. Zirkel Wilderness north of Steamboat. No trail. The smaller one was 18 1/2 inches long and was landed after hitting a small wooley bugger type streamer of mine. The larger one we estimated around 21"-22" but neither of us landed him... :frown:

edit: okay... put it up on my website today. I'm just learning this website stuff so it starts loading once you click the link. to replay it just hit your "enter" key(probably will run smoother second go around). 5mb file and need quicktime plugin.

http://www.exploreimages.info/lunkercutthroatvideo.htm

Bob Pauli
11-14-2005, 06:44 AM
California's Sierra Region trout fishery closes November 15; that's tomorrow! The Fall River in far NE California has only native McCloud redband rainbow trout and they are in full spawning adornment. . Some look like Kispiox steelhead, which I suppose they are not far from genetically.

The days are shorter than tables indicate due to mountains to the west, such as 14,000+ feet Mount Shasta, and I laugh at myself trying to squeeze in every possible fishing minute.

My moment to remember was yesterday's maximum length cast with a 1980 model Scott G-Series 9-foot 6-weight, with Wulff TT floater plus 19-foot leader ending in 7x, placing a #18PT nymph in the film in front of a 24" bow. And she took it, and the attached photo is the "hevidence" obtained from this camera shy hen. There are no rods on earth better able to protect fine tippet than Scott's G-series; it is amazing how vigorously one can fight with 7x tippet, as long as you are not holding a modern casting rocket.

On returning, the greeting committee consisted of an ermine--the first I have ever seen in the wild. Googling "ermine" shows these critters are not native to California.

John Desjardins
11-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Well it wasn't a trout and I didn't catch it but this was my most memorable fish of the year. I have to work on the fish handling though .

SDHflyfisher
11-16-2005, 04:31 PM
its between 2 for me

a brown from the season opener
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/HansenRods/fish%20pics/bigboobrown2.jpg

and my third tiger trout
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/HansenRods/fish%20pics/bootiger.jpg

Geordie Shanks
11-17-2005, 10:44 AM
I was up in the Wind River Mountains this summer about 20-25 miles in from the trailhead and was fishing a long (about two miles) outlet stream that emptied from a series of golden trout lakes. The stream was spectacular, but dropped rapidly and it was a long series of plunge pools with a huge waterfall about every 1/4 mile. I was working my way up the stream and catching small cutties, goldens and hybrids. Nothing was over 6 inches. About halfway up, I came upon a huge waterfall that dropped about 200 feet. I hooked a few small ones, then landed a pure golden trout that was about 16". It was most memorable because I had resigned myself to the fact that they were all small fish in there and I really wasn't paying much attention. I ended up getting a few bigger and healthier fish in the lakes above, but this one stands out due to the surprise factor. Nice fish. I tried to upload a photo, but my files are too big. Anyone have any input on how to reduce the file size for uploading on the site? All my photos are on a 7.1 MB camera and my photos are too large.

Is that Jimmy Kimmel holding that brown trout in the photo above? :chuckle:

griz
11-17-2005, 02:36 PM
YOu should be able to just resize the image in whatever photo editing program you have on your computer or that came with your camera. Resize to maybe 500x300 pixels and it will be a much smaller file size to upload. Most programs like Photoshop allow you to adjust the file size(small,medium,large) when you are about to save it, as well. Pretty basic 101 stuff and good thing to know if you have one of those spiffy, big megapixel digi cameras. :smokin:

Sounds like a cool picture... if you get it figured out then post it, for sure.

I may have fished these lakes... I won't pump you for info but were they on the east or west side of the winds?

juro
11-17-2005, 02:39 PM
The limit is 60,000 bytes. Most great pics on the web are 20-30k, e.g. my image is in the 30's (38k). The length and width don't matter except you should try to keep them 500 px or less to avoid throwing the margins out.

Your files from a 7.1 mp camera are probably several million bytes, and although I am sure they are beautiful and I'd love to see them they would look just as good to us on a website at 38k. We would be at our bandwidth quota in a hurry!

If you use XP, download the power toys image reduction software from microsoft, it's free and it works very well.

Geordie Shanks
11-17-2005, 03:44 PM
These lakes were on the east side. I'll take a look at power toys and try it later.

griz
12-26-2005, 05:16 PM
I just wanted to post the new link for the mpeg I posted earlier:

http://exploreimages.com/lunkercutthroatvideo.htm

enjoy!

teflon_jones
12-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Well, it wasn't exactly a trout, but I got my first landlocked salmon of my life this year on a fly I tied myself in my first year of tying, at a time when nobody was catching anything on the river, including the veteran salmon fisherman.

I'll never forget that one! :D

shotgunner
12-27-2005, 01:35 PM
part of an email detailing my 'stolen' a.m. fishing trip.

fortunatly i did get off on my own. katrina had bought me a book covering all TN. trout waters, mountain streams and tailwaters. after much study of that and a map of the smokey mtns ntl park i rented a car for two days, which was not a popular move on my part [grin] but the best one i could have made....... the tailwaters were all quite a drive with no promise of fishable water on arrival due to the random releases so i had to go with the park streams. i'm sure they were alot like what you picture trout fishing to be. small free stone water, all pocket fishing, miniscule fish. it was quite an eye opener actually. i can see why people wonder why you would need shot & indicator if they only know this type of water. i fished my 3 wt with only a small bead head prince and did fine.

after finding the first set of falls upstream/into the park i went back ahead of the sun in the a.m. fished for a while with some skepticism and lucked into a dandy rainbow of 14" a regular trophy for these streams according to what i'd read. i'm sure it was of hatchery decent but who knows how long it had been living in the park, its streams are only stocked outside/below the boundary.

just below the falls pool near several submerged rocks i casted for a bit dead drifting the prince. unexpectedly upon lifting it for another cast a nice trout charged out chasing it. i was kicking my tail for pulling the fly away from it and immediatly started trying to target the area i thought the fish to be holding in. no luck. after several casts and getting lazy, not paying the attn i should have been, you guessed it, out the fish came as i lifted the fly......... again pulling it away from the fish. i felt foolish at that stage........ i knew the fish to be active so decided to show him something differant. i ended up choosing a big feather duster of a dry fly tied on a TMC up eye dry hook sz 6. it resembles a grease liner alot. i dont know what made me choose that fly as it should have been big time over kill, but on the first cast that reached the holding area and two light twitches the fish charged out, took a brief look and sucked it in..... 15" rainbow. made my entire trip.

BLACK FRANCIS
12-28-2005, 07:00 AM
my most memorable trout was actualy one my wife caught from the gallatin river in MT. we spent two weeks fishing all the famous water around yelowstone. this fish she spotted herself in a tight back eddy up against the bank. it was trying to hide and rise in a little cut in the bank about 15" square. Suzy worked on it for half an hour switched flies several times after refusals and finialy hooked and landed him without my butting in ( i had my own problem trout at the time). nothing huge just a 14" cutbow but it was a difficult spot and fish and she found all the pieces of the puzzle without my influence. a real breakthrough for me to learn to mind my own business!

Tayside
12-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Five minutes into my last Cutthroat trip of the year.
This fish covered the 20 inch tape on the apron.