Deerfield River Fall Classic [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Deerfield River Fall Classic

juro
11-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Spur of the moment - decided to hit the Berkshires with a 5wt and an ultralight Spey rod for some fall trout fishing... sooo glad I did, the spendid day and the sights and sounds of the western MA gem were well worth the drive.

Although the foliage was not at peak due to all this funky fall weather, it was beautiful just the same and the trout were cooperative. I never did break out the single hander, the 5wt Spey was a pleasure to fish and well matched for those banks with the water still being a bit high.

I had dreams of finding a really big trout but didn't get anything over 13". I thought about the atlantic salmon that used to reach these and other streams in the region in significant numbers, leaving names like "Salmon Falls" in the wake of the disaster created by dams. What a crying shame, passing over the Connecticut River bridge at one of the most breathtaking vistas of what was once the greatest atlantic salmon river in America.

Still we are lucky to have such gorgeous water right here in Massachusetts and I will be visiting many more times in the days to come.

BTW great area for a trout clave - lodging, neat restaurants, gorgeous river, etc... all the right stuff.

juro
11-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Didn't find the tackle tester sized trout this time around but the scrappy rainbows kept things interesting.

juro
11-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Really quite a beautiful river and the surroundings on a crisp fall day couldn't be beat.

Quentin
11-14-2005, 06:57 PM
. . . BTW great area for a trout clave . . . .

I'd be up for that. I could use some trout-fishing lessons! All this great trout water right in my backyard and I never even take advantage of it.

Thanks for the report and photos. Is that a wisp of black marabou visible in the corner of the fish's mouth?

Q

juro
11-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Let's do it!

We really have a gorgeous area right here in the Berkshire Mountains. The little hotels and interesting restaurants should provide comfortable accomodations and access to the river is a no-brainer which straddles the road (both shores) for miles and miles.

We could finally fit in the T&T factory tour we've been planning for years as well.

Not sure when the rubber hatch starts (rafting season) but it would be nice to have less rather than more rafters. Like we do out west fish low in the morning and high in the afternoon. Flow release schedules are important to note as well. Do it when it's cool enough to enjoy a good fire at night but not cold. There is a huge campground right there on the river, the Mohawk.

Unless I read things wrong the general area seemed to be kind of a hippie hangout so bring the tie dye flats shirts and any acoustic instruments you can for the saturday night folk fest. Maybe we can get Lefty to bring the fiddle. :hihi:

griz
11-14-2005, 07:39 PM
the rubber hatch ...

that's a new one for me... :chuckle:

nice fish and purdy lookin river. One thing I miss about the east coast is the Fall colors in the NE... especially in the 'Daks, for sure.

nmbrowncom
11-14-2005, 08:37 PM
a fall float trip would be great on the deerfield. the westfield or the farmington aren't bad either . whatever, i'mup for it.

John Desjardins
11-14-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm interested . For some reason I've never made it to the Deerfield.

teflon_jones
11-16-2005, 09:44 AM
There is a huge campground right there on the river, the Mohawk.
I've stayed there a bunch of times. The camping sites are right on the Cold River, which flows into the Deerfield not too far past the campground. The Cold River is a wonderful piece of water, though it doesn't have big fish in it. It's a short drive from the campground upstream to the wadeable sections of the Deerfield. Downstream from there the Deerfield gets too deep to wade.

Charlie
11-16-2005, 03:57 PM
The trout clave idea sounds great! I bet we could draw a good bunch of guys for this. I know some shop owners in Mass. that I could probably get involved. As well as some back in NY. Count me in for a bottle of single malt.

Charlie

josko
11-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Some (indeterminate, more or less random) number of us are getting together for breakfast at the Charlemont Inn on Saturday 11/26, with a day of snowflurry nymphing to follow. If anybody from this board could show up, I'm sure we'd be glad to see you.
If water's high we'll likely go above Fife brook dam.
I'd be glad to respond to questions either here or via PM.

BigDave
11-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Nice report.

The Deerfield is still a wonderful place despite the unpredictable release schedule. Don't get stuck on the wrong side of the river up by Fife - it can be a long walk to the nearest crossing!

BobD
11-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Damn Josko, that is a great idea. What time is breakfast?

josko
11-24-2005, 07:24 AM
0830 Saturday at the Charlemont Inn.

josko
11-26-2005, 05:43 PM
It was a great day - great company and good fishing. There's something about trouting in a snow squall that really brings out the peace in my soul.

juro
11-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Sorry I missed it, I wouldn't have missed it if I could break free this morning.