Stone River Outfitters Buys Hunter's [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Stone River Outfitters Buys Hunter's

DFix
10-31-2005, 12:34 PM
Stone River Outfitters Buys Hunter's

(non-sponsor link removed by admin)

doogue
10-31-2005, 07:52 PM
I loved Hunter's but I work just 10 minutes from this new location. Hunter's was 30 minutes away.

Not bad as long as the service and inventory remain the same.

FYI this place is within 10 minutes of the Manchester airport.

-Mike

FishHawk
11-01-2005, 05:23 AM
I also wonder about the service . Wonder why this happend? Could this be the beginning of a trend? FishHawk

billg
11-04-2005, 09:45 PM
The purchase of Hunters (the name will still be around) by Stone River Outfitters was the result of the owners Nick and Leila Wilder feeling that it was the right time for them to sell (they have owned the business for over 15 years). Our location is much larger than the previous New Boston location and is highly visible which generates substantial foot traffic. The longstanding relationships that they have with the principals of Stone River faciliated this decision.

Nick and Leila are still invlolved with the combined business and Nick is working on the 2006 catalog as we speak. The biggest changes will be having the two catalogs combined into 1 which will come out in a few weeks. And, there will be a few less product lines going forward.

As to service and selection (particularly materials) there will be no change, other than there will be larger inventories of current products. Dan, who was at Hunters for over 13 years is a principal of Stone River.

As to the question relating to this being a trend I would offer this opinion which I have dervied from numerous conversations with sales reps and manufacturers. There have been a number of fly shops all over the US which have closed in the last 4 years. The ones which seem to be doing the best are those either at a destination or those near major metroplitan areas that can support both fly fishing and clothing. Competition from the internet, big box stores like bass pro and cabellas, and a slowing in the growth of the consumer market have all put pressure on traditional fly shops. Mike Michelak from Fly Shop of Reading wrote a great article about this subject last year in a trade publication.

Bill Greiner
Principal
Stone River Outfitters

josko
11-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Is Mike Michelak's article available online?

I am (was?) a happy customer at Hunter's. Hopefully the combined venture will keep the frienly climate. I wish you all the best and will stop by next time I'm up thataway.