Sunday 10/30 CT/RI [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sunday 10/30 CT/RI

Quentin
10-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Got frustrated in SE CT this morning. Saw lots of fish breaking well out of range but they only popped up near me a couple times and I didn't hook up. Not sure what species were around but there were definitely some hardtails in the mix. After the action stopped I headed to RI and checked Weekapaug and Watch Hill.

A couple people at Weekapaug had caught some blues, and there was a pod of adult pogies cruising around while I was there. There was a surfcaster working the bait but there didn't seem to be any predators around. A few minutes later I saw a single fish attacking the bait but the surf guy was busy looking in his bag and never got a cast. The wind was a bit strong so I didn't even try to fish there.

Next stop was Napatree. I tried the beach in front of the cabanas first. Saw (and spooked :o ) one big striper but didnt get anything there. Walked the other way towards the point but didn't see any action. I didn't go all the way to the point because I crossed over to the harbor side to fish last weekend's hot spot. Picked up a few schoolies there, including a tagged fish, and then fished my way back to the parking lot and headed home.

Q

JimW
10-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the report Q -
If it's any consolation I did yard work - at least what I could with one lame wing. Hoping to get out this weekend if the weather allows.