Back From Brantford [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Back From Brantford

Night Raider
10-30-2005, 02:37 PM
I just got back from fishing below Wilkes Dam in Brantford. No luck with the steelhead, I wasn't expecting much being my first time there and my first time fishing for steelies. I caught a few little mooneye which were also hitting my strike indicator. There were a bunch of other people out there, not too crowded though, and I was the only fly fisherman. From the people I talked to and looking around only one small bass was caught. Is this usual for steelhead fishing or have the runs not really come up this far because of the low water levels this year?
It was still a great day to be out on the water and I had a great time, it would have been even better if I hooked into a big fish but that's fishing.
Also, the samll man made stream next to the river, is that any good? I saw a few people fishing in it but didn't see anyone catch anything.
Next week I might try the Maitland.

peter-s-c
10-30-2005, 04:55 PM
They were there, they just probably didn't like the high sun. That small stream I believe, is an inlet for a small hydro station so I wouldn't expect any salmonids in it. I had a crappy day at Caledonia on Saturday and so did everyone else I spoke to, yet early in the morining there were fish rolling all over the place.

Bill Gass
11-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Well Gents

Lets put this into perspective, that way I see it a bad day on the river is better than a good day at work. Alot less stress.

Bill G.