Where should I go??? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Where should I go???

Night Raider
10-26-2005, 09:16 PM
I live near Kitchener Waterloo in southern Ontario and I'm looking for a good place to go steelheading. I've never gone after this type of fish but I thought I'd give it a shot this year. I won't be using any fancy spey equipment or anything, just a 9' 8 wt. rod.
If someone has some advice of where to go in southern Ontario I would really appreciate it. Any other tips/techniques for my first time would be great.

Thanks

peter-s-c
10-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Probably some of the closest steelhead holding water for you would be at Wilkes dam in Brantford. There are a number of good spots on the east bank for single handed nymphing.

good luck

Night Raider
10-26-2005, 10:16 PM
How hard is it to find wilkes dam (having never been there)? I might also go a bit further and head down to caledonia while I'm at it.

peter-s-c
10-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Caledonia can get very busy. Wilkes is at the end of Dufferin street, down a dead end laneway. Take King George off of the 403 -- which turns into St Paul at the bend. Go past Brant St. and turn right on Dufferin just past the lawn bowling club of the same name. Follow Dufferin to the end (it takes a couple of jogs so look for the street signs.

Peter

Night Raider
10-27-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks Peter,
I was hoping it might be cold enough to keep the crowds away, I'll start in brantford and see how my day goes, it's a bit closer to home anyway.

nu-to-spey
10-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Do you know about the Kitchener-Waterloo Fly Fishers Club?? Really good group--lots of info available there from the 80-100 members. If you want to pm or email me I can give you more info than in my previous email.

snoryder
10-28-2005, 08:29 AM
"I was hoping it might be cold enough to keep the crowds away"

Already thinking like a seasoned veteran. This is peak time for steelies so good luck on keeping the crowds away. Have fun out there, and you have some other great water just north west of you. Go check them out. Maitland, Saugeen.