Saturday Albie Food [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Saturday Albie Food

Striper
10-23-2005, 08:32 PM
http://myfwc.com/marine/fish/stranchoi.jpg

I finally found out what the Albies were puking up in my boat on Saturday afternoon. I have never seen Anchovies this large before and actually thought they were Juvie Herring at first. I looked them up on Fishbase.Org and a couple other sites and they are dead ringers for what I have in the freezer. Just thought you guy's might find it interesting as I did. The silver stripe on the ones I have is much broader and covers more of the mid section and back but definitely the bait I saved.

JimW
10-24-2005, 06:56 AM
Mike,
How long were these baitfish?
I hooked up a couple of times out at Montauk but did not land them and we could not get a good look at the bait. After being refused on the normal small anchovie flies I switched to a large Rhody-flatwing 4"+ and was on. Kinda makes sense now.

Glad you were able to get out there, looking forward to your future reports as my fishing for the rest of the season is sketchy.

Smcdermott
10-24-2005, 07:58 AM
Jim,

I don't think the bait they were on for us at the point was the same size as Mike had. I believe Mike said they were 4-5" in another thread. The bait the albies we caught were spitting up the normal 2" variety.

Sean

Striper
10-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Jim,
They were as Sean said about 4-5 in. long and the thing that struck me was the silvery sides. They didn't have a thin silver stripe like a silversides or a Bay Anchovie, it was more broad and covering a large portion of the fishes side. I really wish I had a digital camera still. I have them in the freezer and when I get my hands on a camera I will post a pic of the actual critters. They look very much like the picture just envision the stripe much wider.

Striper
10-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Here is an attempt to use Photoshop to show you what it really looked like, hey I tried at least :hihi:

http://www.softdesigns.com/images/anchovie.jpg

JimW
10-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Gotcha, Thanks guys. If things settle down after this storm and somehow the planets align for me one more time I hope to get down to the reefs for any action I can get. I'll be sure to take along a pattern that attemps to match the hatch as you have both described. I've got the 2" covered by perhaps a tinfoil minnow is in order for the 4" bait. :wink: