Vancouver island in November [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Vancouver island in November

josko
10-19-2005, 02:30 PM
I'll be in Sydney, Vancouver Island in mid- November and am wondering what my fly fishing opportunities are. A search of this forum indicates steelhead are in bad shape, but what about trout or salmon? Any hints wrt my options or a guide recommendation would be very useful. I don't need fish numbers - just a pretty place to cast a fly and maybe learn something new.

cannon
10-21-2005, 04:45 AM
Josko:mid-November you'd miss most of the salmon runs except on the Cowichan,which is about a 45 minute drive north of Victoria.The river has a run of big Chums(20lbs.+) and late Coho.This depends on water levels as the river gets pretty dirty after a hard rain.There is some good beach fishing for Cutties in Bazan Bay just south of Sidney.

josko
10-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Realistically, all I can do there is book a day or two with a guide. I'm sufficiently unfamiliar with the area it's not worth trying to guess at all the variables myself. If anyone can recommend an area guide who's adepot at dealing with flyfishermen, I'd much appreciate it.

jared
10-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Josko,

Sent you a PM.

-J

josko
11-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Thanks jared. Your P.M. got me hooked up to what I feel is a good guide in the area.

jared
11-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Josko,

Cool...drop me a note when you're back and let me know
how things went.

-Jared