new zealand S. island [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: new zealand S. island

john graham
10-11-2005, 03:23 PM
will be going to N. Z. this January to South island for 1 or 1 1/2 months. have been a teacher these past many years; cannot afford lodges so will rent a station wagon and do a "do-it-yourself." Am experienced fly-fishing and would MUCH appreciate experienced suggestions for river locations (other than Gore area where I've been before) and perhaps some guide recommendations. I have the obligatory NZ books. I've just today signed-up here; I'd greatly appreciate other sources of information. I shall be thankful for help. johnngraham@yahoo.com

Adrian
10-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Welcome John!

Nick Svencer (Nick) did a trip down there recently and I think he did a DIY / Guide combo. Try searching back through Nick's posts - or maybe he'll chime in :D

Nick
10-12-2005, 11:26 AM
will be going to N. Z. this January to South island for 1 or 1 1/2 months. have been a teacher these past many years; cannot afford lodges so will rent a station wagon and do a "do-it-yourself." Am experienced fly-fishing and would MUCH appreciate experienced suggestions for river locations (other than Gore area where I've been before) and perhaps some guide recommendations. I have the obligatory NZ books. I've just today signed-up here; I'd greatly appreciate other sources of information. I shall be thankful for help. johnngraham@yahoo.com

Man, you already got the books? I forgot mine at home and had to buy a second one down there. Would have dropped it in the mail for ya!

Anyways, the South Island Fishing Guide is about the best thing going. I mean, it gave detailed instructions down to which fence post to turn at and how to go over the fences! For more detailed places, i would try checking out sexy loops forum (you can google it). A lot of NZ guys there that were MORE THAN WILLING to help out and even meet up. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I was on my honeymoon so fishing time was limited somewhat. I picked out places from the guide book that were along our driving routes and stopped at various points throughout the day. I ended up getting a guide on the North Island on the Tongariro river and it was well worth it for me as I am a Salty guy at heart and the trout thing was a little out of my league. I did see some BIG fish in some teeny rivers though...

If you've never been, be prepared to be constantly awestruck. I have seen few places on this earth with more natural beauty, inviting people, and isolation. I still get chills thinking about it and find myself lost in the photos often.

Let me know if you have any more questions. If you're looking for travel tackle, my TFO 7pc 5wt was sweet. Fit right in my backpack and was always with me.

I'd give anything to bum around the south island for a month or more. I was there fore ~2weeks and saw about 1/3 what I wanted to see, let alone what there was to see.