Octoberfest RI: Input thread [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Octoberfest RI: Input thread

bonefishmon
10-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Please refer to past Rhoddy Clave threads for information leading up to this one and give your input. The pot is almost done. Where do you want to fish?

Phil

FishHawk
10-11-2005, 03:45 PM
For me the weather is going to determine what I do. I don't enjoy fishing with the crowds and have several spots that I will try. I wouldn't mind trying Sandy Point with the yak. So I'll just have to wait and see. Phill keep up the good work. Let's get this off the ground. FishHawk :smokin:

bonefishmon
10-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Your earlier post suggested a Yak Clave within the Rhody Clave. OK. Who is in on a Yak Clave to cover the Napatree/BI area and phone out reports to the group?

Phil

Quentin
10-11-2005, 07:00 PM
My specific plans will depend a lot on the weather, but in general I was planning to camp at Burlingame on Friday, Saturday and maybe Sunday and fish my usual places in Western RI. The Sandy Point plan sounds like fun and I might like to do that if the weather is good and there are enough boats so that shuttle service is not a burden to anyone.

Keep stirrin' Phil! Even if the Sandy Point plan doesn't work out for this trip I think there is enough interest to keep it in mind for another time.

Q

sean
10-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Phil I was thinking about this while tring to cast into a 20mph headwind today :rolleyes:

Why don't the willing kaykers head to sandy point and those of us on foot meet up and head out in groups of 2 or 3. As we find fish (or not) we can call you or someone who wants to be the cell phone meister with reports. This way if others are not finding fish they call the cell phone meister and get the current reports of where the fish are hitting.

So nobody gets stuck out at sandy point due to no transportation and if the fish happen to not be there you guys are mobile and can come join the guys that are finding fish. Or you guys may just strike it rich and have all the fish you can handle:)

-sean

bonefishmon
10-12-2005, 05:44 AM
That's exactly the beef needed for the stew! I'll drop it in the pot and let it cook for a while. Who wants to be 'phone meister'? Sean? Have you done one of these before? LOL!!!!!! If that was a hit it was a homer! You might want step up to home plate now! Fellas, we are getting closer!

Phil

Adrian
10-12-2005, 07:46 AM
I'll be dragging the yak along unless its forecast to blow over 25kt from the North!

I've never fished the Barn Island / Sandy Point area before and there's a lot of water to cover.

I'll be bringing a marine VHF radio as well as cell phone.

jfbasser
10-12-2005, 08:24 AM
I like the idea of "loose contact" via a cell phone Meister possibly with one group meal or group check in for a face-to-face...Very similar to the typical spring clave. I will probably beach fish the evening / night shift on foot on Friday so I don't get distracted by any Funny Fish. My needlefish technique needs some work. :D

FishHawk
10-12-2005, 12:40 PM
I'll try Barn Island also, but like I said earlier it's all weather dependent. I think that this will be more like the Spring Clave . At the BoneClave everyone was confined to the island. I like the evening get together. However, I don't want to launch in the dark since I've never done Barn Island. There could be a lot of boat traffic at Barn Island and I would like the boats to see us. We should do a Yak Clave next year with a couple of mother ships doing the scouting for us. :lildevl:
FishHawk

bonefishmon
10-12-2005, 05:52 PM
I'll be dragging the yak along unless its forecast to blow over 25kt from the North!

I've never fished the Barn Island / Sandy Point area before and there's a lot of water to cover.

I'll be bringing a marine VHF radio as well as cell phone.

Holy Smokes Adrian! So happy you're coming! Can we enjoy your prence on both days? Did you find lodging?

Phil

bonefishmon
10-12-2005, 06:13 PM
I'll try Barn Island also, but like I said earlier it's all weather dependent. I think that this will be more like the Spring Clave . At the BoneClave everyone was confined to the island. I like the evening get together. However, I don't want to launch in the dark since I've never done Barn Island. There could be a lot of boat traffic at Barn Island and I would like the boats to see us. We should do a Yak Clave next year with a couple of mother ships doing the scouting for us. :lildevl:
FishHawk

OOOOOOW! Mother Ship Clave like in the Bahamas! LOL!! We could hit Montauk, Block Is., The Vineyards and Nantucket. Here I go, off on a tangent. Fish Hawk has PM'ed me. He has his heart set on Sandy Point. I am also leaning in that direction as well as Adrian. I am working on a shuttle (buddy of my son's) and he may be willing to help out the landlubbers and will stay with us for the duration. He has to clear this for Saturday but I have high hopes. Maritime Skiff. If there is no action on the beaches I can make arrangements for ALL of us to fish in one spot together for the afternnon. This will be a GREAT second option.

Sandy Point is protected from high surf, has flats and channels. Eel grass beds abound near shore that are very healthy. The area is always loaded with bait. It's my South Beach and for good reasons. Caught my 1st sight fished bass of 38 inches on a fly there 10 years ago. It rarely lets me down.

Phil

bonefishmon
10-12-2005, 06:28 PM
I like the idea of "loose contact" via a cell phone Meister possibly with one group meal or group check in for a face-to-face...Very similar to the typical spring clave. I will probably beach fish the evening / night shift on foot on Friday so I don't get distracted by any Funny Fish. My needlefish technique needs some work. :D

High, slack tide will be around noontime. Andrea Hotel on the beach for lunch. All sorties to meet there and discuss plans for the afternoon strategies on Saturday.
Sunday we play by ear.

Dinner? Well now. Lot's of option here. Should we stick to the beach area? Paddy's at Misquamicut and the Andrea Hotel. We need room to park trailered boats...Sean ...Slinger (I owe you a dinner!) and Jared along with any other's that have boats. Your thoughts please! Fishing after dinner a Big plus! We're right there!

Phil

Smcdermott
10-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Phil,

I am all for the group dinner (you don't owe me anything) and the beach area sounds good to. Lunch probably won't work for those on boats. I think we should keep the dinner place pretty reasonable price wise as well. Sounds like you have got things really rolling now and if this weather ever breaks I think we are going to have some solid action. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Sean

bonefishmon
10-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Paddy's should suit everyone's taste and budget plus there should be room for the boats. If the weather is favorable we can eat outdoors on the veranda. I'll give them a shout. What time should we plan dinner for? Low tide is around 7pm.

Phil

kennebecfly
10-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Well it looks as if my brother cannot join us he has other obligations,But I have made reservations for fri and sat at the sea breeze motel. I think the sandy point thing sounds great. I should be in stoneington by noon on fri. Hope to get some fishing in fri eve,it will be good to see some of my old haunts,and freinds. And fish hawk no fuel pump problems like the spring clave! :hihi:

FishHawk
10-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Well Drew that's good news. That was some Clave. FishHawk :hihi:

mikez
10-13-2005, 03:27 PM
I agree with Phil about the fun of the group, that's why I hope to join up for the big feed which has always been the funnest part of all the claves.
On the other hand, I've always felt at a disadvantage at Washburn because of a lack of a boat.
I have been plying the shore from Beavertail to Napatree for a number of years and have had many good days doin the mobile land based spot hop. A cell phone chain linking a number of shore spots could be very successful.
Count me in for where ever the meal is.

I'll be prefishing the spots this weekend. Hopefully I'll have something good to report soon.

Dble Haul
10-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Well, I can now say with certainty that I cannot make it to fish with all of you on that weekend. If I do get out, it will only be for a few hours, and even then it's a long shot for that to happen. :frown:

Next time.

Chris
10-16-2005, 07:24 PM
I hadn't chimed in to this point as I didn't think I was going to be able to make it. I've been on LTD from work since January and we are just getting by. Money is tight these days and I have to be careful but I will be able to swing it. One last bash for the season.

FishHawk
10-17-2005, 04:34 AM
Glad you can make it. FishHawk :D

bonefishmon
10-17-2005, 04:53 AM
That super Chris. Glad you can make it! You might want to hook up with Drew. His brother had to back out and perhaps he would like the company. He is also traveling from Maine. Please PM JF Basser your cell phone #.

Phil

bonefishmon
10-17-2005, 04:56 AM
Well, I can now say with certainty that I cannot make it to fish with all of you on that weekend. If I do get out, it will only be for a few hours, and even then it's a long shot for that to happen. :frown:

Next time.

Hey Mark. I sure know how you feel. You will be missed. Let me know when you're down this way again.

Phil

kennebecfly
10-17-2005, 06:43 AM
I dont want any thing to do with that guy! :chuckle: ( He is my brother)

Chris
10-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Phil, like Drew said, I am his brother and I don't blame him I wouldn't want to hang with my brother either- unless I'm fishing :hihi: . With the way things are now, money wise, I never know what I can do until the day nearly arrives.

Hey Bill, maybe my truck will last the weekend this time, eh?

FishHawk
10-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Yeah let's hope so. Get a spare pump in Maine and bring it with you . :chuckle: After the Spring Clave no wonder Drew wants nothing to do with you . :hihi: :chuckle: FishHawk

Chris
10-18-2005, 07:42 AM
You know I don't have to hang around with you guys to get treated this way, I can stay home and get that- I have a wife and a teenager. ;)

bonefishmon
10-18-2005, 03:19 PM
All in good fun Chris. Welcome to the Clave! OK you guys. Enough already! Chris. Have a safe trip down.

Phil

jfbasser
10-18-2005, 05:27 PM
I have the phone list and a tentative attendee list for the Sat Group Meal at 7 pm at Paddys in Misquamicut RI...Phil is checking out the list...I will PM it to each person that replied in some way or another tomorrow (Wed) night. Please reply via PM on Thursday if you want any changes..I will be departing from my computer Fri at about 11 am to head for Rhody to meet up with Fishhawk, Chris, and Drew...and any others...Also, if you have any detailed questions don't hesitate to call my cell.

JimW
10-18-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm heading down Thursday night, staying at Burlingame and hitting Barn Island early Friday AM. Unfortunately I'll have to bail out and head home when most of you are arriving. There is a possibility that we'll hit Montauk but it's unlikely unless I get a real sweet weather vibe.
John,
PM me your cell and I'll let you know what we see.

jfbasser
10-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Friday Sunny High 55 Low 42 NW at 10 no precip

Sat Partly Cloudy High58 Low 45 ESE at 10 dry by day 60% showers at night

Sun Cloudy High 65 SW at 10 30% daytime showers

Tides High Noon and Midnight

Marine Seas starting at 1 to 2 feet building to 2 to4 feet by Sunday
North to Easterly winds increasing from 10 to 15 Sat to 20 Sun with higher gusts Sunday chance of showers

bonefishmon
10-18-2005, 07:59 PM
I have the phone list and a tentative attendee list for the Sat Group Meal at 7 pm at Paddys in Misquamicut RI...Phil is checking out the list...I will PM it to each person that replied in some way or another tomorrow (Wed) night. Please reply via PM on Thursday if you want any changes..I will be departing from my computer Fri at about 11 am to head for Rhody to meet up with Fishhawk, Chris, and Drew...and any others...Also, if you have any detailed questions don't hesitate to call my cell.

Good luck John and all the other scouts on our Friday kickoff! I may be able to join Fishawk around 9:30 after I see the chiropractor. Bum hip. To top things off, my
O*!# Pro Guide waders are failing badly. Back of both legs. Looks like I'll be wet wading this weekend.

On to the Who's In Thread!

Phil

Chris
10-18-2005, 09:22 PM
All in good fun Chris. Welcome to the Clave! OK you guys. Enough already! Chris. Have a safe trip down.

Phil
Yeh, I know, just goofing. Sounds like the weather- at least right now- is going to be pretty agreeable. That's great! Drew will be heading here- Hollis- Friday am and then I think I'm driving from that point. We've played a little email tag getting things worked out and we'll speak and finalize everything tomorrow. He works the graveyard shift so I try not to call too much during the week.