Large Arbor Reel [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Large Arbor Reel

tobybul
10-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Shopping for 9/10 wt LA reel with good disc drag. Anyone have experience with LL Bean Orion LA reel or St Croix's LA reel? Am considering these reels because of their price. Would like to get Ross Big Game but not for $400+. Do these reels reels perform close to the Ross or maybe better? How about the smoothness of the drag.

I have 8 & 9 wt 9' rods mainly for salmon & steelhead in Great Lakes tributaries. Planning to get spey rod soon maybe 12'6 or 13' and also use it with this reel.

Thanks so much for your feedback. :)

24-7
10-08-2005, 10:32 AM
I don't have 1st hand experience with either of the reels you are considering but you may want to look at the Tioga @ a similar price point. As you live in Michigan, there should be no problem hooking up with a shop that knows "spey". This may be important if you decide to cross utilize this reel on a long rod. Depending upon your spey line selection, they may take up considerally more space on a reel than a WF 8or 9 wt line intended for overhead casting. Weight for balance may also be an issue.

Good luck

Dave

tobybul
10-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks, Dave. Not sure whether I want to use a "spey" line. I might opt for a shooting line instead. I use shooting lines for pretty much all my salmon/steelie fly fishing.

bluenose
10-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Another vote for the Tioga.

I've used the Tioga 6 for trout and have had no problems. It's built like a tank and you can use either a regular spool or the large arbor spool - they're interchangeable.

Regards

The French guy
10-17-2005, 02:46 PM
The Tioga is priced right, but I think it is not reliable enough. At least two of my friends had trouble with it, but I cannot affirm that it is a bad reel since I never owned or tested one in the salt.

TFO is coming with the new Hayden-TFO reel that is rock solid, featuring a cork drag, draw bar system and type III anodizing. I saw it at the shallow water exposition in West Palm last week end. I should get one myself at soon as they will be available. The regular TFO aren't that bad too. I got a 375 that I use on bones. Not being a big fan of carbon drag, I replaced it with cork.

Another option is the Magla reel from South Africa. I can send you some pictures upon request (not done with the review of that reel yet). This reel is rock solid, with a cork drag. I cannot provide you with the link, do an Internet search.

Nautilus have also great reels. The # 8 is excellent and I use the #10 all the times since (and a bit before) their introduction on the market. The Old florida reels (from the same company) are very good for the money. I own 5 super arbor of them and used them heavily in the salt, fishing from a kayak.

The Redington Breakwater as well at the Tempest from Albright are both very good reels for the money.

Note also the introdution in November of the die cast Powell reel. I will get one when they will be available. That reel features a cork drag and has a large arbor. The price tag will be just below : 50 bucks!!! :Eyecrazy:
By selling direct, Powell can do such things... I will post when I get a hold of one.

I am sure others will come with more reels.

We are very spoiled these days with gear and the price is droping...

Serge

BLACK FRANCIS
10-19-2005, 08:39 AM
i am not familiar with the ll bean reel. the tioga has had some quality issues and the company is not doing well under bankruptcy

a great reel for under $300 is the Bauer JM5. it has a cork drag, LA and machined aluminum. it is also made in the USA. plenty large enough for an 8 wt spey as well.

salmo
10-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Buy yourself Danielsson LW 8-12 (old Loop Evotec LW 8-12). You pay $300 for the reel
which was sold under Loop name for near$ 600. Fully sealed Swedish craftsmanship.
After Danielsson/Loop relationship broke, Danielsson is now selling its reels directly from factory for half of the former price.
The reel will hold plenty of spey line ( for example 150 yards of 30 lb Dacron and 8/9 Rio MidSpey or 8/9/19 WindCutter, and you can use it with wt.8 or 9 single-hand rods.

Enjoy
Salmo

http://www.loopusa.com/fwlwhd.html
http://www.loopusa.com
the above can be also access from:
http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/us/prislista.php

Wee Hooker
10-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Another "pass on the Tioga" vote. I had one 3 years back and fit of spool to frame was sloppy. It actually "clanked " on retrieve. ( I personally didn't care for the full frame design either.) If memory serves, it was also just a std Tioga reel fit with a larger arbor spool . i.e You got the same reel frame with a LA spool that has less backing capacity and more weight. ( This was common practice bay allot of companies at one time in order to catch the LA marketing trend without retooling. ) If you want a large arbor reel, make sure you get one that was designed as a large arbor from the start. i.e Wider spool and/or larger diamiter than it's conventional counterpart to compensate for the lost backing capacity. Otherwise, your better off buying the std reel in a larger size and loading the snot out of it with backing.

Whiskey Dick
10-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Shopping for 9/10 wt LA reel with good disc drag. Anyone have experience with LL Bean Orion LA reel or St Croix's LA reel? Am considering these reels because of their price. Would like to get Ross Big Game but not for $400+. Do these reels reels perform close to the Ross or maybe better? How about the smoothness of the drag.

I have 8 & 9 wt 9' rods mainly for salmon & steelhead in Great Lakes tributaries. Planning to get spey rod soon maybe 12'6 or 13' and also use it with this reel.

Thanks so much for your feedback. :)

If you like Ross have a look at the new Cimarron Large Arbor Reel. For $239.95 you can get a CLA5 which takes a 9wt line and 250yds of 20lb backing. the next size up CLA6 costs $259.95 and takes a 11wt line and 275yds of 20lb backing and the large one CLA7 takes a 12wt line and 300yds of 20lb backing for $279.95. A great reel with a lifetime warranty and a great drag and American made :). Check with your local Ross dealer they can get them and you do not have to pay shipping :)

phlyphyshr
10-29-2005, 12:31 AM
My vote is for the Bauer as well. American made, no plastic parts (ross is full of em) large
cork drag, fewer parts, instant drag engagement, etc

gimmefish
10-29-2005, 11:27 AM
just starve for awhile and get the big game, you'll have no regrets trust me. There are some used ones on EBay now and then.