Salmon Dryfly - Jerk Fly [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Salmon Dryfly - Jerk Fly

Peter Terndrup
10-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Hi;

Here is a very simple salmon dryfly called the "Jerk Fly". The fly is invented by a good friend Jerk(Old danish viking name for Erik, but in english :) )
We have bin using with great succes from Canada to Russia.
Jerk has caught over 500 atlantic salmons on this fly. Most of them from the Varzuga River in Russia.
The problem with the Bomber is that it starts to drown after short time and it can be hard to spot if you fish with long line.

Hook: Ligth salmon hook
Body: Orange or Yellow cactus chenille and Rainys or Simann flyfloam on the top
Head: Black

Tight lines!

Peter

Charlie
10-28-2005, 08:01 AM
Very interesting fly Peter,

I still have the ones you gave me last winter, but did not give them a fair try up in Gaspe. You can bet I will give it a try this coming season.

Charlie.

Charlie
06-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Peter,

Don't know if you got back from the Gaspe yet but I wanted to let you know I did get a chance to fish this fly. I had a few fish chase it and when I finally did get a fish to grab the fly I pulled it out of his mouth. Rookie mistake! :tsk_tsk:

Hope your trip went well.

Charlie.

juro
06-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Jack Gartside in a parrallel universe? Does this norseman ride an inflatable giraffe by any chance?

http://www.jackgartside.com/images/flysteps/gurgler_feathered.jpg
photo (link): Jack Gartside

Smolt
06-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Juro,

Talking about great minds, to solve the "drowned Bomber" problem, just a fortnight ago I "invented" a Bomber with a foam "shell" to make it more visible and bouyant. I was pretty proud of myself until I read this post. There truly is very little new in the art of fly tying.

CK

flytyer
06-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Smolt,

I'm going to take you back even further with this fly because it is nothing more than a DEVIL BUG (which dates from around 1900) tied with foam instead of deer hair for the bouyant shell back and Cactus Chenile instead of peacock herl for the body.

Isn't it amazing how often a "new" fly is "invented" or "created", when it is nothing more than a materials variation of a much older fly. I suspect a lot of the reason we see so much of this is due to the large number of tyers and fly fishers who have little or no knowledge of the history of fly tying, flies, and fly fishing.

Folks, please don't misunderstand me on this. I'm simply saying that if folks knew more of the history of fly fishing, tying, and flies, there would be a whole lot less renaming of flies simply because a new, modern, man-made material was used instead of the original's natural fur or hair. This in no way can be construed to mean that the modern material adaptation is not effective or worthy of being tied. It simply means that it doesn't deserve a new name and that perhaps (if I may be so bold) we would be better served if it were identified as a modern materials adaptation of an old fly (and provide the name of the old fly it is an adaptation of).