Tube Flies from Chilean Patagonia [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tube Flies from Chilean Patagonia

Patagonian
10-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi everybody. I'm a Chilean Fly Tyer.

I would like to show a tube fly pattern to catch big brown trouts of Chilean and Argentinean Patagonia. Name: Clouser Minnow Tube Fly.

Regards,
Patagonian

Patagonian
10-05-2005, 06:07 PM
More chilean tube flies for Trouts, Searuns and Pacific Salmon.

See you,
Patagonian

wrke
10-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Patagonian
Nice fly. Very much like the sunray shadow . . . without the eyes. One of my favorites and it's one of my friend's best flies in Tierra del Fuego. Fish take it very aggressively.
Bill

juro
10-06-2005, 04:59 AM
Gorgeous photographs, made better by the flies within them. It's interesting how the designs themselves tell stories of thick bodied searun browns, big rolling rivers and valleys of fabled Patagonia just in looking at them.

Bill, thanks also for demystifying the sunray shadow with the pic / ruler. I would imagine it may also be tied with a metal tube body (?)

wrke
10-06-2005, 07:10 AM
Juro
Yes, I also tie them on metal tubes. One of the most productive flies on Gaspé rivers last year was one I tied on a 3/4" aluminum tube. Overall length about 2". With green underwing instead of white. We've also tied them with red underwings. My favorite black hair (because of how it flows so well) is human hair. I've also added jungle cock eyes, but don't know if it makes any difference.
Bill

Charlie
10-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Bill,

That explains why my bald spot got bigger the last time I ran into you. :lildevl:

Patagonian,

Thanks for posting those flies, very nice! I have a friend in Montana that has started using tubes in the Madison, Yellowstone and some of the other rivers he guides on. I’m sure yours would work very well for him. Could you please post the patterns for them? There are always people on the forum that would love the exact recipes to make them up. Keep them coming, we would love to see more of your flies.

Charlie

Patagonian
10-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanxs wrke, juro and Charlie.

I don`t buy the tubes in flyshops; I make my owns tube with diferents parts of bic pencils, medical supplies, little red tube of Spray Lubricant (like a "W-40"), small metal tubes of hobbie shops, etc. I like very much to prepare the materials, and then tie the fly.

In my country, Chile, the flyfishermans don`t use flies tubes, except in the Rio Grande, Tierra del Fuego (chilean seccion).

I like to invite you to visit our web site "riosysenderos.com". I'm a one of owner.

See you,
Patagonian

Others tube flies for Chile, tied by me:

Patagonian
10-06-2005, 10:27 AM
... more

Salmon Cone Head Tube Fly

By,
Patagonian

Patagonian
10-06-2005, 10:37 AM
... more

Austral Mini Bugger Cone Head

By,
Patagonian

Patagonian
10-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Sorry .... It is the "Austral Mini Bugger Cone Head"

By,
Patagonian

Patagonian
10-06-2005, 10:44 AM
...... and more

The "Pejerrey Tube Fly"

Pejerrey = Silver Side

Regards,
Patagonian

flytyer
10-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Patagonian,

Nice tube flies. It is very nice seeing some flies from the other hemosphere.

I wasn't aware that Pacific Salmon were found in Patagonia. I was under the impression that Pacific Salmon were only found in some of the mainland Chilean rivers.

Patagonian
10-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Hi Flytyer.
Coho and Chinook Salmons lives in rivers and lake of south of Chile and part of south of Argentina, during November to May. They ascend the rivers conect with Pacific Ocean to reach many Patagonian streams to spawn.

Some our Chinooks weigh over 44 lb. (20 kg.)

A excelent tube fly for the Chinook Salmon is "Chinook Destryer Tube Fly"

See you,
Patagonian

flytyer
10-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Patagonian,

Thanks for the info on coho and chinook. By the way, nice fly. Is it used primarily in the estuaries or do you use it in upstream area too?

I've also heard rumors of steelhead being present in some Chilean rivers; but none of the folks who mentioned them to me ever saw saw one.

Patagonian
10-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Flytyer.
This fly can be used in estuaries and upstream area too.

In connection with the steelhead ..... of course, they are in some rivers and lakes of Chile, like Rahue River and Rupanco Lake, near of Osorno City, and Patrohue River y Puelo River near of Puerto Montt City.

Regards,
Patagonian

To catch Coho Salmon, I use the "Llanquihue Killer Tube Fly". Its Great !!!

flytyer
10-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Patagonian,

Thanks for the info and for clarifying what had only been rumored to me by some who had never witnessed steelhead in Chile.

This last fly looks like an egg sucking leech version of the 30 year-old variant of the Woolley Bugger known as an Electric Bugger, which was tied with the electric blue flashabou in exactly the same manner as this fly of yours.

Patagonian
10-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Bill ...... Last weekend I tied your fly used in Tierra del Fuego. I liked it, and I want to test it in some rivers near Puerto Varas, Chile.

Patagonian

wrke
10-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Patagonian
Looks good. It's also occasionally tied with a few strands of peacock herl as a topping. Let us here about those aggressive takes.
Good luck
Bill

Glenora Ghillie
10-14-2005, 08:10 AM
That fly looks like the matapedia "silver rider" on a tube!! Bill, sorry I'm gonna miss your presentation to the FFF club. You should get some local fish next week!!

Shahab

wrke
10-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Shahab
My local fish today are rainbows on Siver Creek (ID). Monday I'll be on my beloved "home" steelhead river . . . the North Umpqua. The NY locals will have to wait. : -)
Bill

Glenora Ghillie
10-15-2005, 07:48 AM
SWEET!!!!! :hihi:

Patagonian
10-17-2005, 07:54 AM
Hi. Here show you another fly to chilean searuns and coho salmons.

By,
Patagonian

QuebecSporting
10-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Bonjour Pantagonian...

Nice fles.......... :)

Charlie!! I need you!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Pantagonian,

Some of your flies seem to have (weight)...like the "Salmon Cone Head Tube Fly"
does this depend on species and / or waters you are fishing??

Thanks for all the info about your area...... !!

Cheers!!

Ann

Patagonian
10-25-2005, 08:12 AM
Hi Ann. The weight tube flies are used in large rivers, lakes and fjord.

One of the most successful fly to fishing Sea Runs in Torres del Paine National Park rivers, in special the Serrano River is the "Serrano Special Tube Fly"

See you, Patagonian.

chromedome
10-27-2005, 10:22 PM
To Patagonian:

You certainly have some beautiful flies there many of which are not in what has been described as the British style which is to say the fly looks the same all around the tube. For these other flies it would seem important that the hook always remain fixed in the position it is placed at the start of fishing. Even though I have a hook/tube setup that is supposed to be optimal, I find the hook drifts around in the tube preventing the fly from riding in the proper position. How do you solve this problem?

Patagonian
11-04-2005, 07:52 AM
Hi .... now I show you a terrific dry fly used to catch Salmons and Sea Runs in Chile and Argentina.

The "Green Machine Fly Tube".

By,
Patagonian.

Charlie
11-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Very nice!

I fish green machines for Atlantic Salmon quite a bit.

I was thinking of doing some muddlers on tubes. The brass tubes sink very quickly so it could work well.

Charlie.