"Octoberfest" Rhody Clave [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: "Octoberfest" Rhody Clave

bonefishmon
10-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Just stirring the pot for an October gathering. Who's interested? Thinking the weekend of the 22nd. I have thoughts of compressing the area to between Napatree Point and the Weekapaug Jetty and if some get into a blitz we can collide and all fish together. Boats and beach vehicles (with beach passes) are welcome!

Phil

Quentin
10-04-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm in! Weekend of the 22nd sounds good. I might try to get down there for the weekend of the 16th as well.

Q

Adrian
10-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Me too - maybe all those North Shore fish will have found their way South by then. :smokin:

FishHawk
10-05-2005, 05:19 AM
I'll be in the area. FishHawk :smokin:

Nick
10-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Possible for then...anyone doing a Tunoid Shuffle on Columbus day? Haven't found one in a few years and I think i'm going to be giving it a go. Lookin for company...

GregD
10-05-2005, 09:39 AM
I'm planning on going, will have to confirm that I have no family commitments.
Looking forward to it.

Greg.

Dble Haul
10-05-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm in the same boat as Greg. Let me check things out, and if I'm available I'll definitely get out there with you guys.

jfbasser
10-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Sounds good. I will bring the fish ID'er that I had a the Boneclave :lildevl:

bonefishmon
10-05-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm somewhat new to meistering an event such as this. For information, look left at top stories and scroll down until you see 10-13-01 RHODYFEST. A ton of information there. I have a wedding Friday, the evening of the 21st but will have Saturday and Sunday open. The water temps are at 72* here at the moment and will drop rapidly after this weekend so the BIG Push will begin soon! If we get more interest I'll check with Burlingame State Park for camping and cabins. I can also arrange for a group dinner here on Mason's Island in Mystic at the Mason's Island Yacht Club if we chose not to camp. We have a grill and lots of picnic tables, bocce courts with an 'out of this world' view. Hell! We may even be able to pitch tents at the yacht club if I can get permission. We have a dock for the boats and even hot showers! Only a 10 minute ride to Watch Hill reefs by boat. Twenty minutes to the Rhody beaches by car. Highlight is you'll get to visit the Shadfest Spot for fishing just a short walk away after dinner! Mark, Sean, and Chuck can attest to the view. I will also look into group lodging rates nearby for those who don't want to camp out. GEEEEEZ.....this could be excellent! The more I think of it the better it's getting!

Phil

flydoc
10-06-2005, 03:58 AM
The 22nd is out for me...already got a guys night out at the Bruins planned for that night with my brothers, brother in law, and his brother...get to see the B's beat up on Super Mario and Sid the Kid (Penguins). 29th would be OK for me if the 22nd gets washed out.
Flydoc

FishHawk
10-06-2005, 05:37 AM
Perhaps those of us with yaks can launch from Barn Island and have a Yak Clave within the Rhody Clave. Weather will be the factor. FishHawk

bonefishmon
10-06-2005, 06:31 AM
We could all head out to Sandy Point (island) for that matter. Boats can do drop offs from the Barn Island ramp close by.

Phil

FishHawk
10-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Great idea Phil let's do it. FishHawk :smokin:

bonefishmon
10-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Ok then! Home base will be the Barn Island boat ramp in Stonington, Ct.. on October 22nd & 23rd. Let's plan on a 6AM start. We will need to enlist a few boats for a shuttle of which land bounders can chip in for gas. All those interested in attending need to PM me a cell phone number and your needs for a shuttle or not. Yaker? On foot? Supply a boat? A drop off on Napatree Point is another option. Two groups. One on Sandy Point and the other on Napatree. We keep it tighter and enjoy each others company.

On a side note, the inside behind Sandy Point was covered thick with birds yesterday afternoon. Bangers and big bluefish on top. What a hoot!

Phil

Adrian
10-07-2005, 11:51 AM
I'll be bringing the yak if weather is favorable.

Not sure if I can swing the whole week-end but I'll work on it :lildevl:

kennebecfly
10-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Boy that sounds like a blast! You can count me in ,The fishing up here is winding down and I think a road trip is in order.

mikez
10-08-2005, 11:40 AM
I intend to camp at Burlingame with my three boys that weekend. I'd like to be part of the festivities but I'm not sure I want to do the Sandy Point thing. There is much too much real estate to cover and flexibility is the key to locating fish. I'd to be tied down to one spot, especially as I have no boat and will be transporting four bodies plus gear.
Maybe we can hook up in the evening when the group returns from the island.
Anyone desiring to branch out and explore, feel free to PM me. Those are my home waters [even though I don't live there] and I have a good number of spots suitable for the shore based fisherman.

PS Say a prayer to the fish gods to return our fish to us by that weekend. Currently South County is experiencing a very unusual period leaving experienced fishermen scratching their heads. Albies have become almost as hard to find as weapons of mass destruction. :devil: Bait is scarce and even blues are not where they should be. Schoolie bass are the staple for shore fishermen for now.

juro
10-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Mike -

Fear not, there are acres of albies up on the Cape and islands we all know which way they will be heading soon, most likely right on time for this gathering. :cool:

FishHawk
10-08-2005, 03:01 PM
One theory has it that the first pod of Rhody Bass followed the mullet South. I think our timing could be ok as this weather will start the fish moving.
FishHawkS

bonefishmon
10-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Mike makes a good case about the lack of bait fish pods we are all used to seeing in September. Better hope that Albie food shows up here first! Either way we'll make a concerted effort and enjoy the process. Albies are a bit difficult to hit from shore so we will be targeting and perhaps sightfishing the bass and blues on Saturday with the remote possibility of a grand slam along the beach or jetties on Sunday. The fatties also like the mouth of the Pawcatuck at Sandy Point. As usual it,s all about being in the right place at the right time.

Phil

bonefishmon
10-09-2005, 08:17 PM
We welcome Drew and his brother Chris who will be traveling from Maine as well as Grizz (Chuck) and his wife from Pa.. If Slinger or anyone else out there can lend a hand with a boat shuttle to Sandy Point for Saturday those needing a ride out should be prepared to make a donation for fuel. Please bring a foldup camp chair. I have three. Some of us are counting on good weather for the Yaks, otherwise we will also need a shuttle out.
Sandy Point will keep us together as a group as castaways for a day on Saturday and Sunday we can do the wild goose chase by car to look for blitzes. If you like South Beach you'll love Sandy Point! Paxton? Can you make it down with Amy? The pot is still stirring folks! Any other ideas are welcome as well as your input for Sunday.
FishHawk...thanks most of all for your help in keeping this alive!

Phil

kennebecfly
10-10-2005, 05:30 AM
Caught my first and onley albie right where we will be fishing plus many bass and blues. Im really looking foward to fishing that area again

FishHawk
10-10-2005, 05:38 AM
Good to see the guys from Maine attending. See you at Barn Island. FishHawk

jared
10-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Gents,

Will hopefully be fishing that area on Sunday from the boat with my brother who'll be flying in from Ohio. He's never experienced the fall migration before, so I suspect we'll be very flexible in terms of where we go. That probably leaves me out of shuttle duty...at the moment, we're planning on splashing @ Barn Island...and if we end up doing that, we can certainly make a run over to Sandy Point in the AM...just not sure we'll be able to bring anyone back at a specific time....

That said, I'm not sure I'd want to limit myself to fishing that spit all day...as we all have experienced, the fall run really is very much a hit-or-miss affair....I suspect you'll have more success (or at least more options) if you're running the shore from Napatree all the way up to Point Judith. With coverage from so many anglers (and a decent cell phone tree), you ought to be able to pinpoint the fish and pass the word along relatively quickly.

just my .02 cents.

-j

bonefishmon
10-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Thanks Jared. Your points are well taken. If we all had boats we'd be out there with you fella! The landlubber group will have to see how difficult the surf and other variables are that get thrown at them that boats will not have trouble with.
I know of several spots we can fish comfortably on the beach but they do get crowded and Napatree is a haul on foot.

Sandy Point= Comradery.... a tight space within which to enjoy the company of others in a quiet setting on Saturday. Two tides..one spot.. no cars just power bars.

Pt. Jude to Napatree= a lot of driving and lost time spent fishing on Sunday. Low tide around 8am.

Phil