Peter SC [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Peter SC

snaggletooth
10-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Heres the 2 tubes I used on Saturday to catch all the dinks. Still great fun! It's amazing how big of a bend a small fish can put in a 6wt. two hander. I think these are in Supinski's book on a spey hook, under the name "Thugmeister".

peter-s-c
10-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks -- I have Supinski's book and the Thugmeister pattern. I've done really well on purple and black so I wanted to see your patterns so I can build up a few alternatives.

Here's two that have worked for me and could easily be done on tubes. The Dirty Harry is a big fly -- 4' long, meant for really dirty water. There's a ball of dubbing behind the marabou collar to create a big blunt head that'll push a lot of water. It's tied on a 2/0 deep water salmon hook. A copper tube would work as well.

I'll have to get some Thugmeisters tied as it's also a Rick Kustich favourite from what I hear.

snaggletooth
10-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Is the name of the Dirty Harry in reference to that huge gun he used to carry? Geez, thats a big fly. The vise will be hot tonight! Thanks for the patterns!

peter-s-c
10-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Is the name of the Dirty Harry in reference to that huge gun he used to carry? Geez, thats a big fly. The vise will be hot tonight! Thanks for the patterns!

ya, a big'un for dirty water . . .