Albie Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Albie Report

BigDave
10-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Saturday AM - beautiful conditions in Block Island Sound. Glass calm and sunny morning made for a high-speed run out of Groton CT. Albies were located early but there were a ridiculous number of boats all over them. We opted to venture further out towards Montauk and found unpressured pods of fish breaking in only 10 feet of water.

We mostly had shots at small pods except for 2 classic blitzes where you would see multiple fish follow the fly back to the boat and take the fly. One fish dumped easily 100 yards of backing on the initial run. Another had a large scar that looked a lot like a prop mark. The bait du jour were 1.5-2 inch bay anchovies.

Dble Haul
10-03-2005, 10:48 AM
It sounds like the albie menu hasn't changed in regards to the bay anchovies.

What flies were you using?

Sounds like a great day out there.

BigDave
10-03-2005, 11:24 AM
The only fly that produced for me was 1.5 inch ancho pattern tied on a razor sharp gami tuna hook.

Reef Runner
10-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Big Dave-
Did you stop at the shoal 1/2 way over to MP? I went stragiht over from Watch Hill. Your right about the weather. Hooked uo with 3 just inside MP at about 6:45am before the fleet really can out, that was it for me til noon. I didn't see any major pods, just a few showing here and there. Went back Mon for an even slower day. Fish were up & down & gone til the tide turned. Only saw 2 caught but there had to be more if you were in the right spot at the right time.