Fair Maid of Gowanda [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fair Maid of Gowanda

Steve K.
09-30-2005, 03:12 PM
A little too bright and flashy,
A little too BIG in the butt ,
But, Will definately get "hit on" swimmin' in the Cat.

What do you think?
Steve K.

flytyer
09-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Looks like a good fly in cold water, bright sun conditions to me. It is definitely tied in the tradition of the PNW marabou spiders, which usually have the body including the butt not longer than the hook point; but it looks good as is.

I'd make the guinea collar fuller though because it would help ballance the fly and better produce a vortex behind the collar to keep the marabou moving and not collapsing against the body.

Dresssing please for those who are not good at assertaining dressing components from a picture.

Charlie
10-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Nice fly Steve,

Like flytyer said, if you could put the pattern out there I'm sure their are a bunch of people who would love to tie that baby. :smokin: Is that what you got your fish on this past Sunday?

Charlie.

Steve K.
10-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Hook: #1 Tiemco heavy, curved shank salmon (sorry don't have the number)
Tag/rib: Small oval silver
Tail: G.P. crest (not necessary- gets lost in the hackle)
Butt: Black ostrich
Body: 2/3 - silver holigraphic tinsel, front 1/3 - yellow Hairline steelhead/salmon dubbin
Hackle: Yellow marabou palmerd from the front 1/3
Collar: Guinea natural black & white
Wing: Arcitc fox (?) black w/white stripe and a few strands each of black and silver cristal flash.
Head: Flame 6/0 thread

Flytyer,
I know what you're saying about a "fuller" collar, I went the other way with the front portion of the body dubbed heavy (full) to support the palmered marabou.

Charlie,
No, I was covering water with minnow lookin' streamers.
The hot fly (or just the one I had on when I found the pod) was a #6 4x long grizzlie hackle/diamond braid body- white marabou tail, bead chain eye - bugger
Quick and easy "I don't care if I loose 5 to the rocks when searching water - fly"

Thanks for the comments,
Steve