Back to the river [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Back to the river

Quentin
09-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Fished the saltwater for the last few weekends but went back to the river today. Beautiful day and a few fish too! I'm still addicted to the foam head diver and that's all I used today. Got a fat little bass and a bluegill right away, then lost the diver to an acrobatic 24" pike. Creamed the fly, did a backflip and cut the 40# fluoro leader like it was 6# test. Tied on another diver and got another fat bass, slightly bigger than the first, and had four or five pike hits and brief hookups/LDRs. Great day on the river! :cool:

Q

Wee Hooker
09-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Seems like trips to those favorite WW spots ere even sweeter in the fall when you know you are runing out of time. I'd be interested in seeing a picture /getting the recipe for that Diver if you get the chance. I'm mostly a Gurgler &lefties bug guy myself when fishing the top for smallies.

Quentin
09-25-2005, 08:06 AM
WH,

Photos and recipe are in the warmwater fly archives here (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=19827).

The one I lost yesterday was a little different. I used olive superhair for the "tail" and divided it into 2 sections to look like frog legs, added olive marabou for the collar and used a white diver head with the top 2/3 of the head colored olive with a magic marker. Total length was about 3".

The colored marker, eyes, krystal flash and even the collar are really optional. In a pinch, I tied up a "quickie" with just the fish hair tail and foam diver head and it works just as well:

Wee Hooker
09-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Thanks Quentin, guess I should have searched there first. Oddly enough, I already have more than a few of something very similar tied up. Particularly like those style heads backed with a 3" bunny strip tail when I'm throwing my larger bugging rods.