Monomoy Fall Classic Sunday Sept 25th ON! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Monomoy Fall Classic Sunday Sept 25th ON!

juro
09-24-2005, 06:50 AM
:cool:

Just to clarify, there will be a Sunday run to accomodate all who are on Sat and/or Sun lists.

See you there.

Stevo
09-24-2005, 07:29 AM
I'm counting the hours... 4 till our plane leaves London! :smokin:

See you there.

justicampa
09-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Dad and I are looking forward to Sunday. See you at 8:00!

flydoc
09-24-2005, 07:45 PM
Much to my chagrin and consternation, I have caught yet another "bug" from one of my patients, and am not getting better (as I had hoped would happen with some rest at home following today's cancellation). It's enough to make me think I need to start wearing a mask in the office, but I don't think that would go over well with the patients. Like Sean, I'll have to wait for the Boneclave. Have a blast tomorrow, guys.
Flydoc :(

juro
09-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Sorry to hear that flydoc, I will leave your package at the CAC to make it easier for you to pick it up.

To all the rest, I hope to see you at the dock tomorrow am!

Dble Haul
09-26-2005, 10:13 AM
So how did you all do?

I was busy doing yardwork, so I'd like to live vicariously through you. :wink:

bonefishmon
09-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Any reports from the Sunday outing? I was on Nantucket for a wedding with the family so I was not able to wet a line. Reports from Great Point were making me ill with envy. Footballs in the breakers on Friday! Saturday was pretty good also during the gale and it turnied off like a faucet when the cold air hit Saturday night. Slower on Sunday and nothing to speak of on Monday. A few guys at the wedding were out each morning. So much for those NE blows!

Phil

juro
09-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Sorry - dealing with the crisis that killed my Newfoundland trip this week.

It was a phenomenal day, the cuts and bars out there are just amazing I can think of few spots on the eastern seaboard with such a variety for shore angling in terms of sand structures (my favorite).

The fish were fairly plentiful as we had good sight fishing shots at some truly large fish but the bite only really 'turned on' during times of good flow on the main channel connecting the tub and the sea for a brief period. If you weren't fishing along that stretch you were either finding schoolies or searching the inside flats.

Most of the day was spent waiting out the slack tide but that couldn't be helped because we can't pick our tides all the time.

Most of us averaged 5-7 fish while some got as many as 20 with multiple keeper bass. I would guesstimate that a half-dozen keepers were caught between the group of 10 or so clavers, between less than half of the crew as it was a right place right time thing. I didn't break 26" but certainly have nothing to complain about on a most memorable day on the water.

Special treat to fish with the brits and Justi and dad from Flyfishing Patagonia. The fishing was mediocre for the spot, but what a stellar day.

The Squire afterwards did not let us down. Really a fall classic of a day.

Guernseybass
09-27-2005, 08:15 AM
I'm to hear the weather settled and you had a good day Guys. Did the English acquit themselves well ? i bet they did in the Squire later anyway ( or at least Steve did :) )

June can't come round soon enough.

Mark.

Adrian
09-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Monomoy fall classic - Juro and Fred double up early on..

http://www.avsharp.com/jurofred.jpg

Once again the North tip didn't dissapoint - as Juro noted maybe not at its all time best but a fabulous day to be out there. I picked up a couple of schoolies early and moved across to the crib where the current was non-existant. Two smaller schoolies came from the extreme East end. Way over to the West we caught sight of a rod bending and by the time I got over there Stevo was just about ready to release another :smokin:

http://www.avsharp.com/stevo.jpg

I decided to walk way up to the far South corner where the channel cuts back and almost touches the main part of the island. The lack of current at any stage of the tide had allowed a significant build up of weed and it looked pretty choked up. A bit further out the water opened up a bit and the bottom configuration screemed crab pattern. My instincts paid off and I picked up five and lost a couple more bouncing a crab pattern along the bottom with long pauses between strips. Nothing huge - maybe 24 inches a piece but still a lot of fun and a new technique in the armory - actually the first time I ever fished a crab pattern for stripers!

I did manage to forget my own mantra about checking behind when fishing the flats. Whilst intently watching the tip of my line for a take on the crab there was a familiar "slosh" very close behind me. I was almost afraid to look but peered over my shoulder to see two of the biggest cows I ever encountered right at my heels in about 15 inches of water. Ah well, you live and learn .... As the tide started to flood there was a very slight increase in current but not enough to clear out the buildup of weed on the surface. Several sight fishing opportunities were spoiled by the unavoidable weed.

All in all a super day finished off in style at the Squire.

FishHawk
09-28-2005, 04:34 AM
Great report Adrian. Looks like the gang had a great time. FishHawk :smokin: