Any fish? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Any fish?

peter-s-c
09-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Anyone getting any early runs of steelhead?

MarkNY
09-19-2005, 03:17 PM
hi peter, a few steelhead have been filtering in with the kings on the salmon river,NY lately. no big concentrations, but enough around so that ive started looking for them in the riffle water. hows the action up your way? best, mark

juro
09-19-2005, 03:33 PM
In the GL expanse there seem to be prominent fall runs, prominent spring runs, and some rivers with both.

Anyone have a good listing of which = which in this respect?

peter-s-c
09-19-2005, 07:14 PM
hi peter, a few steelhead have been filtering in with the kings on the salmon river,NY lately. no big concentrations, but enough around so that ive started looking for them in the riffle water. hows the action up your way? best, mark

Tried the Credit the first week of September and saw only one chinook, a big, bright chrome hen. Talked to a guy today who had just come back from the Ganny and apparently it's full of chinook. Thought the rain would've brought in some early runs on the Grand but no luck so far.

PEte A
09-21-2005, 05:27 PM
In the GL expanse there seem to be prominent fall runs, prominent spring runs, and some rivers with both.

Anyone have a good listing of which = which in this respect?

Juro,

I'm sure you already know all of this, but for those that might be interested. There is some limited published info on run timing, but it doesn't cover very many systems. Certainly actual published on this topic is much more limited on the North side of the border, largely because the OMNR has track record of trying not to manage the invasive steelhead.

In my experience most of the rivers that get substantial runs of fish in the Great Lakes get both good numbers of spring and fall run fish. This is certainly the case on most Lake Ontario, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan tribs.

Some of the Erie tribs have extremely prominant fall runs, with potentially smaller spring runs, while Lake Superior has weak fall runs in comparison to spring runs with a couple shinning contradictions to that statement.

Tight lines,
PEte

Jamey McLeod
09-24-2005, 07:49 AM
We have kings pouring into a few West MI rivers. I was on the way lower Muskegon Thursday night, Friday morning/evening. Between Thursday and Friday morning I saw well over 1500 fish go by. Talked to some others who had been on a different channel, they said they saw around 2000 in that time. Friday evening, I saw 4 fish, they are one the move.

Not a single one would even wink at my fly, they have gravel on their minds, I am just hoping for that lost steelhead in the mix.

peter-s-c
09-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Not a single one would even wink at my fly, they have gravel on their minds, I am just hoping for that lost steelhead in the mix.

Maddening, eh? When they won't give it a sniff -- but there's usually one in every crowd that will.

Jamey McLeod
09-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Maddening, eh? When they won't give it a sniff -- but there's usually one in every crowd that will.

It seems every Spring/Summer I forget how much I dislike salmon. I wait and wait for them to show, then I realize what torture they can be. To see all those huge bright fish, and I know in the back of my mind that maybe 1/500 might rise, if Jupiter is aligned with Jacksonville or some F/N thing. Halloween is right around the corner though, with the silver girls in tow....................

If you guys make it over here in the fall, drop me a PM before hand.

peter-s-c
09-24-2005, 07:13 PM
If you guys make it over here in the fall, drop me a PM before hand.

Will do . . .

shotgunner
09-25-2005, 10:16 AM
It seems every Spring/Summer I forget how much I dislike salmon. I wait and wait for them to show, then I realize what torture they can be. To see all those huge bright fish, and I know in the back of my mind that maybe 1/500 might rise, if Jupiter is aligned with Jacksonville or some F/N thing. Halloween is right around the corner though, with the silver girls in tow....................

Jamey, total agreement with the above...LOL....

this is the first season i haven't made it out [yet?] in an attpt to pester a chinook into taking. its almost always proved frustrating in the past. the rains of october treat me better by far, cohos seem much more cooperative.

nice pic you sent through the other day.

peter-s-c
09-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Got out today and heard a story that steelhead are already trying to get over the Caledonia dam plus I saw a small one porpoise so things are looking up.

Drifting my light blue floater head across some slow water and on almost every drift, I had small minnows jumping right beside it. Not the usual "fleeing" jump, just jumping right next to it, even toward it. No idea why. Most of the time, the minnow would go vertical just enough for its body to clear the water, other times just half-way out. Weird -- maybe the colour.

Still getting used to fishing these Guideline heads and I'm amazed the depth change just one mend makes. Unlike a sinktip that needs all sorts of coersion to get down, a single mend can get an S1/2 dragging bottom in about 4' and a moderate current. Also noticed that the S1 belly section on the S1/2 is longer than the S2 belly on the S2/3 and quite a bit longer than the S3 belly on an S3/4. Interesting design feature. Small alterations in mending or introducing slack line has big impacts on depth.

No fish but Dave had two Smallies and I had a couple of pulls from small fish.

Charlie
09-26-2005, 08:43 AM
Peter,

There are a few steelhead showing up in the Niagara. I talked to some guys that got them out of boats. Havenít been down myself yet.

Charlie.

peter-s-c
09-26-2005, 03:47 PM
That's someplace I haven't fished in a while -- have to lose some more weight first though or I'll never make it back out of the Whirlpool. :o