Fly Fishing Forum banner

Day 1 Success - Cape Visit-05

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Great day on Narry Bay with Capt. Ray and my son Chris.
Only Blues, but WOW, lots of fish & blitzing, can't wait till tomorrow and maybe some Tunoids!
Next report tomorow.

#4 ·
Jim,

Managed to get out one last time while still up in the northeast. Everything was falling into place for my last day on the water. Tides were perfect, bluebird day, no wind...... you get the idea. Got to the refuge early, fished at the base of the stairs with no success waiting for the Rip Ryder to begin running. I couldn't wait to get accross to hit the flats. Anyway I was crushed to find out that Keith had discontinued weekday trips due to gas prices (understandably so), so I made the decision to hoof it down to Morris.

Dissapointment continued as I didn't see anything along the way to encourage me that fish were around. Bait, birds, blitzes were all absent. I arrived at Morris about a half an hour into the flood and things went crazy within twenty minutes.

I started to see some swirls in the narrow between Morris and North as the current gained speed. I quickly realized that there was some heft to this pod, I ran over to the edge fumbling with my gear, quick cast and BOOM!! Massive take (I thought they were big blues at first), then a submarine dive and before I knew it I was 50+ yrds into my backing for the first time this year. When the fish was finally brought to hand it was a good foot longer then the keeper ring on my rod (definitely a personal best on fly rod). Three more big fish on near consecutive casts 40+", 36" and 28+", then the blues came in and things really got crazy. Managed to hook two more large bass but was cut off by 3 and 4lb blues swiping in and trying to take the fly from their mouth. Switched to gurglers and got decimated over the next half hour without wire until two boats came across the edge of the flat and put all the fish down :mad:.

I've never seen these fish so charged up, blues and bass. When one fish was hooked and brought up onto the flat there was always one or two more with it right up until the very end. The bass were also laying about 6 to 12 inches under the surface facing into the current like late spring trout. If I let my clouser sink to the bottom nothing would happen but if I burned across the top of the water column... :eek: .

Anyway, could not have envisioned a better end of the season for me. Hope you guys have lots of the same this fall :smokin: .

Dave

#7 ·
Sounds like you were there "yesterday" (as in shoulda been there).

I am sure there is a pack of revved up fish somewhere on the striper coast every minute of the day thru the end of the fall... just a matter of right time, right place and that sounded like it to me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.