Birthday bronzebacks [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Birthday bronzebacks

Dble Haul
09-16-2005, 07:52 PM
I usually fish the salt on my birthday, but with Ophelia bearing down on our area I opted to visit a stretch of the Housatonic River that I'd ignored for the past few years. It was low, clear, warm.........prime. :smokin:

Although I took some nice bass on poppers ripped through current seams, most of the fish were caught on size 4 black stonefly nymphs. The fish were eating these up like candy, and most went airborne during the fight. Heck, I even caught a foot long chub that jumped during the fight.....now I've seen just about everything. :Eyecrazy:

The weather was muggy with overcast skies and occasional rain that ranged from light drizzle to heavy downpours. I kicked myself in the butt during the drive home for not visiting this run of river for the past few seasons. Heck, this was the first time this season that I've done any nymphing. Guess my angling attention has been elsewhere.

Clear water, chunky smallmouths, and a 5 weight....I need to get back there more often.

peter-s-c
09-16-2005, 09:03 PM
That's something we sometimes forget -- chasing smallies like they were trout. Thanks for the reminder -- looks like the 4 wt. is gonna get wet on Sunday . . . :)

Wee Hooker
09-16-2005, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a great way to spend a birthday. BTW, Sure we're not related? My birthday was yesterday. Couldn't get out then but spent Tues difting around Wachaug Pond in RI casting a 5 wt to bass ! Have to admit, river smallies sound even better though.